Storing wood pellets in bulk

Vickijay

Visit site
Hello,

Just a quick wood pellet based question! How easy are they to store? Has anyone had any issues with mice munching through the bags? Im guessing it will come shrink wrapped? I have 3 horses who are going to use them so will get through them relatively quickly.

I want to get a full pallet and thought that I better check to see if anyone had had any problems before I did. Was going to go for the Woodlet ones as they seem to have good reviews on here.

Many thanks in advance,

Vicki

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Never had a problem with mouse damage but pellets do need to be kept very dry. I stack them up in the feed room, one bag deep along the wall.

They come in ordinary plastic bags.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I just leave mine outside on pallet. Never get rodent damage but occasionally a cat will claw a bag and rain gets in. That's not a problem tho as the pellets under hole swell up and reseal it :D

Have never considered storing pellets inside, part of the appeal of them is that they can be stored outside :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I also store mine outside. I have never had rodent damage. Some brands have leaked though. I find woodlets always stay bone dry, even the pallet left over from last winter is still dry, so I'm sticking with woodlets.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ive still got left overs from last winter and I'm sure they will be absolutely fine this year. kept in a lean too type shed which really isn't very waterproof and Ive seen a few mice and a rat (eww!) in there over the years but never had a problem.

Vickijay

Visit site
This all sounds good. We have a huge barn so they will be inside, but nice to know that I don't need to worry.

I also store mine outside. I have never had rodent damage. Some brands have leaked though. I find woodlets always stay bone dry, even the pallet left over from last winter is still dry, so I'm sticking with woodlets.

Im glad you said that as it was your post about them that made me choose them! They are nice and white aren't they?