Stormy day support group!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Here in Wiltshire I was greeted by a large section of our front (garden) fence waving around - I have now secured it by roping it to my car on the windward side and wedging a load of spare fenceposts on the leeward. It may survive. Meanwhile recycling box has totally vanished, presumably somewhere up in the village half a mile away. Horses are spooky, choosing to stay in the open with their bums to the hedge rather than in the open stables (whole stable block is shaking). The noise is crazy - we back directly onto mature woodland, 300 acres of it right next to house/yard. Thankfully the prevailing wind is towards the woods, because I think a fair few trees will be lost today.
How is everyone else getting on?

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
That sounds scary LC. I’m in West Sussex and it’s very windy and the gusts are awful but actually not too horrendous at the moment, although definitely not safe to ride sadly. Everything we can tie down has been and horses are in an American barn with the door facing the wind shut so it’s actually quite pleasant in there and they are all stood calmly eating hay. Mines had a trip to the wash bay for a wash and tidy and chucked back in his stable for a duvet day. I’m hoping it will blow over and have probably over optimistic hopes that I may ride later. However our fields and school are rather exposed so that I suspect may not happen. I just hope we get through as unscathed as possible.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
It is looking quite bright out, not raining either but the wind is getting stronger by the minute. Horses were both ok and eating in the middle of the field and now in for the day. Found a few bins on our lane and lots of bits of wood on the way to the yard but no trees down.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Left the boys in for the moment, I dont even want to think about opening the sheeted gate to the barn in order to get them out. Small tree partly down on the drive, but OH has just raced off to church so I assume he has driven round it. No excuse really not to carry on painting the loo today!

BBP

Visit site
Just spent the last 3 hours relocating hay into empty stables after finding the cover ripped off our outside hay stack and in to shreds. Bit worried my field shelter might think of going walkabout so weighted as much as possible and keeping everything crossed.

Lovemarmite

Visit site
Mine have been out all night but were both happy to come in this morning, their stables are quite sheltered so not too worried about them blowing away, was a very windy walk down to them with the dogs but still managed the poo picking and getting everything ready for turnout later, tenants in a house we rent have message to say half the fence is down so that's another job to add to the list! Need to venture to town in a bit as have no milk or bread! Then I'm lightning the fire and staying put for the afternoon ?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Absolutely horrendous here.

Just opened the back door and the wind picked me up, spun me round with the door then slammed me down again.

Took several attempts to get to the hay shed as I kept getting blown back down the slope.

Lost a few jump wings but nothing that cant be replaced.

Roads all round us are all flooded now.

Lady Jane

Visit site
Here in Beds its pretty windy. I'm feeling smug, horses have been turned out for an hour and now happily munching in their stables. The scariest moment so far was bringing the horses in with my friend. We decided to do it in 2 trips (first horse then second two). I was closing the gate after she had taken her horse out and the wind tried to take it and I hung on and could barely hold it. There would have been 2 loose horses had I lost the battle, I never experienced that sort of wind strength before

Cowpony

Visit site
Pretty awful here in Berkshire too. Got the pony in this morning through high wind, grey skies and rain.. She usually gets a feed at the field to encourage her to be caught, but the bucket would have blown away so she got some treats, and the feed in her stable. My lesson this afternoon is cancelled as it would have been outdoors (indoor lessons still going ahead). My lovely sharer has volunteered to put my pony to bed, so I'm back home with the central heating on, wondering what on earth to do with the rest of the day.......

Wow! Just had lightning and an enormous clap of thunder almost immediately after. So glad I was competing yesterday and not today!

southerncomfort

Visit site
We have thunder and lightening too.

Many roads now impassable.

Several towns across Yorkshire suffering flooding. Hebden Bridge bearing the brunt of it again. ☹

We now have a weather warning for tomorrow for strong wind and heavy snow. ?

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Just blown in from the yard...fields are flooded...roads have lots of standing water. Bits of trees strewn around but no trees fallen. It was uncomfortable driving in the strong wind as it’s flat and exposed here especially crossing the Forth river. The barn the horses are in is quite calm..nothing loose or rattley. It’s sunny mild and not raining at the moment just the high winds...And we re looking at 3 days of this....yippee.

Berpisc

Visit site
Fields topped up with water again :rolleyes: a lump of tree got blown onto the lane by the field so me and a friend managed to drag most of it off the road, other roads have trees down and there will be flooding for some poor sods. Horses live out but are fine with hay put into the lee of the big hedges. Of course for one pony this was unacceptably spooky, but she will cope.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Very windy here in Berkshire still. Went to see horse who is about 40 mins away. Lots of twigs on road but fortunately nothing large.
Horse was fine as he was eating hay in the lee of a good hedge with his field mate when I arrived. They both walked up the field for a drink just as the wind got really strong and the rain arrived in horizontal waves. After some shuffling round to get bums into the wind they came back down, walking sideways (lovely leg yield!), ears back and shaking their heads! I think they'll be staying under the hedge for a few hours yet.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Still very windy here, rain gets heavier then lighter, then heavier, then lighter... I've been to the yard, mare had a graze in hand and some turnout in the indoor school for exercise! Had to divert on the way there as road closed, apparently another road nearby was closed by a fallen tree (now open again).

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
It’s been horrible here, put the chairs back three time and again they are all over the garden, a huuuuge tree down in the lane so we can’t drive out the drive and no electricity but the horses seem fine lol 179FA9F7-A302-437A-A283-328CDAD5B95A.jpeg179FA9F7-A302-437A-A283-328CDAD5B95A.jpeg

dorsetladette

Visit site
Seems to of steadily got worse since about 1 - 2pm here (dorset) optomistically thought we'd miss most of it this morning as didn't seem so bad while doing the ponies. But more damage at home with a few fence panels down. But I know people further north are getting it a lot worse than we are.

Keep safe everyone

holeymoley

Visit site
It’s all very quiet here. We’ve had a lot of rain- rivers are all burst. Winds not been as bad as expected- we’ve certainly had a lot worse. Ground is already sodden in fields so not much difference there. I’ve seen some travesties down south though :(

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Sadly I have a pony casualty. Part of the field shelter was across the field with nails sticking up. My mare walked up the field for tea waving a hind foot. 2 and 2 made 4. She has trodden on the nail so is now in with a poulticed foot. Vet called and visit planned for tomorrow. ?

Bradsmum

Visit site
Well a very scarey day. Started with a huge beech tree down in the yard - just missed the chicken run and the horsebox. It did hit the garage but not done much damage but obviously can't get the car out! Another tree now looks precarious and our neighbour has another beech tree that has been dropping bits all day on the house so hoping that stays put too. The horses have found places to stand with bums to the wind and seem to be ok though getting their feeds out to them has been interesting. Goodness knows where the old girl's feed bucket will end up tonight. we have two more days of heavy rain, strong winds and hail forecast - oh goodey!

thommackintosh

Visit site
In a bizarre twist, in rural central Scotland, it's not too bad. It's perversely quite nice to be receiving the gentlest part of a storm for a change. Though Harry thought every creak of a branch was the warm-up roar of a dragon preparing to attack on our hack this afternoon. Definitely tested my seat a few times ?

Suechoccy

Visit site
Scary moment about 9am in Cambs, called horses into their stables (they live out) for their breakfast and was removing rugs (so standing at back end doing fillet string) when massive wind gust ricocheted under doorway of wooden stable, separating roof from wall-tops so the whole roof lifted up, still attached on back wall, like a lid, and for a nanosecond we all saw the sky, and then the lid (thankfully) shut in its original position with a huge BANG but with flap-flap-flap where the felt on top ripped to shreds. One thing I never ever wanted to be was in a stable with a loose horse when the roof tried to leave home, I screamed and my life flashed before me, my horse panicked by stomping up and down on one spot then legging it, all without kicking out, such a good boy. I drove home to get cordless drill/screwdriver and long screws, came back with a lovely friend who called by to help, and reattached front of stable to tops of walls, and while I did this there was a CRACK and the lovely, gorgeous, much-loved tall field maple in the adjacent hedge came down, missing the stable and us by about 4m. For the rest of the day I have stayed indoors, imagining that I am a tortoise and the house is my safe shell.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Sadly I have a pony casualty. Part of the field shelter was across the field with nails sticking up. My mare walked up the field for tea waving a hind foot. 2 and 2 made 4. She has trodden on the nail so is now in with a poulticed foot. Vet called and visit planned for tomorrow. ?

Oh no! I hope she recovers quickly. :(

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Scary moment about 9am in Cambs, called horses into their stables (they live out) for their breakfast and was removing rugs (so standing at back end doing fillet string) when massive wind gust ricocheted under doorway of wooden stable, separating roof from wall-tops so the whole roof lifted up, still attached on back wall, like a lid, and for a nanosecond we all saw the sky, and then the lid (thankfully) shut in its original position with a huge BANG but with flap-flap-flap where the felt on top ripped to shreds. One thing I never ever wanted to be was in a stable with a loose horse when the roof tried to leave home, I screamed and my life flashed before me, my horse panicked by stomping up and down on one spot then legging it, all without kicking out, such a good boy. I drove home to get cordless drill/screwdriver and long screws, came back with a lovely friend who called by to help, and reattached front of stable to tops of walls, and while I did this there was a CRACK and the lovely, gorgeous, much-loved tall field maple in the adjacent hedge came down, missing the stable and us by about 4m. For the rest of the day I have stayed indoors, imagining that I am a tortoise and the house is my safe shell.

So frightening!

HappyHollyDays

Visit site

Hope she makes a full recovery.

HappyHollyDays

Visit site

That sounds rather scary, glad no humans or animals were hurt.