Stormy day support group!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Only casualty is a Schumacher tree in the garden which has come down so I will be chopping it up tomorrow. The wind is still very strong but the rain has stopped and horses are back out in raincoats because the field is very exposed.

racebuddy

Visit site
Sadly I have a pony casualty. Part of the field shelter was across the field with nails sticking up. My mare walked up the field for tea waving a hind foot. 2 and 2 made 4. She has trodden on the nail so is now in with a poulticed foot. Vet called and visit planned for tomorrow. ?
Oh know not good hope shes ok xx

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
She loathes being in too, so heaven knows what I shall find tomorrow morning. Farrier also seen pic and thinks (fingers crossed) we should be ok. Thank goodness it was found within hours and my son's pony avoided it. Would be mine that found trouble! When I gave it a good clean I could see a solid structure underneath. I am hoping and praying that she makes a quick recovery.

Thank you to those who have posted good wishes.

FantaPlease

Visit site
Blackpool it took our usual 15 min journey from home to stable 45 min due to flooding everywhere.
So grateful to my yard owner feeding this morning and one of the liveries offering to pick me up and drive me up (im a newish driver and my car is 19yr old) - we got there, the lane to the yard was underwater ( though other liveries drove through) so we waded. Haha. Was fun.
Pony was looking nice and fat and sleepy (she wudnt be happy out in this), so gave her extra hay for overnight, put a sack of fresh bed down and she is happy as Larry.
As long as she has food and bedding WW3 could happen, she wudnt care.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Still very windy here in Wiltshire. The fence survives, still lashed to my Berlingo. Pyjama day for both horses and dogs. Horses have chosen to be out all day, clipped one is rugged, retired one is bare. a bit of dodging of branches and empty feed bowls, but they survive. OH hunted for the recycling box, drew a blank, it's in the next county by now. More wind overnight and tomorrow. Yay.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm on the Welsh side of Shropshire and it's been windy and wet. Amazingly no power cut in our village (so far) which is virtually unheard of with this kind of weather.
Horses are out and seem fine. No major damage around the village as of yet.....there's still time ???

pansymouse

Visit site
We lost another big tree in our 11 acre field (we loose one every storm) and a small shed but otherwise we're OK. I prefer to leave out in storms, we have good natural shelter and stables are mature and not especially well maintained.

oldie48

Visit site
It's been very mixed here today, one minute sunny and relatively calm, the next pouring with rain and a howling gale! I rode Rose this morning and she was fine especially as she'd had a day in yesterday. She and Fatty went out about 11.00. They are in the same field separated by electric fencing and there are two gates, one into the garden and the other into the arena with another gate which leads into the garden. My stables are part of the house which is surrounded by about an acre of garden with two exits on to lanes. OH and I went out about 15.00 to get them in just as the weather turned really nasty again. Rose suddenly lost sight of Fatty as he galloped to his gate and she had a complete meltdown so I decided to leave them both out until they had settled and the worst of the weather had passed. Unfortunately OH had already gone into the field, the wind caught the gate and naughty Fatty charged through into the garden, galloped past me and thank goodness went into the arena as I hadn't closed the gated behind me. Both horses then went slightly bonkers as they do! I fetched a haynet from the stables and tied it up in the arena as Fatty is very food orientated and he eventually decided to eat rather than charge round hysterically, this settled Rose enough for me to pop a bridle on her and although she was still pretty lit up, she walked back to the stables politely. I am totally fed up with the weather, I came in soaked and freezing cold with my hair standing on end. Bloody horses! I sometimes wonder if I am getting too old for this game.

dorsetladette

Visit site
B1 has what looks like the starts of an abscess so I was scrubbing and polticing in the rain and wind this evening. Chanting 'please don't jump at the tarp flapping' the whole time I was hanging on to a back foot. In fairness to him he was an angel but I wasn't expecting him to be.
The sky went really dark and I was going as fast as I could to get it done before the sky's opened.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Phew! Just come on here to see if there was an update. Such a potentially bad injury to have.

Yes, my heart sank when I saw her, I knew instinctively what had happened. I was dreading finding where the hole was. I had my old byo tread on a nail several years ago, almost lost him, missed his navicular bursa by 2mm.

She hasn't tried to break out either which is a bonus!

GSD Woman

Visit site
I'm glad that everyone came through OK. The weather in Europe even made my local paper. Sounds like you all went through a hurricane.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Just went out to top up hay. Got blown across the garden and had to send the husband instead!

Rain not yet as bad as expected, wind probably worse than expected.

PurBee

Visit site
Severe wind started last night.
Horses still there this morning, chilled out - theyre now amazingly calm in the wind, they inspire me!
Weather forecase says rain all week until next friday....so river will swell and flood my ‘way out’ to civilization...luckily im all stocked up on essentials but have a pallet of feed to pick up.

I noticed gutter press media fearfully expounding the storm, which of course is a ‘bomb cyclone’ by claiming to expect 2 metres of snow....only to show video of weatherman stating rain and wind, and ‘in some areas, some snow’

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Biggest annoyance today (apart from windblown sodden fuzzies in sodden paddocks) is the Sky box losing signal! DH out all day and I'm an idiot as I cant remember how to just work the TV without Sky, grr!

Edit, worked it out and was able to watch the Aintree trial!

Last edited:

Spotherisk

Visit site
It is awful on the southern edge of Dartmoor in Devon, the wind is picking up force all the time and the rain is very heavy. Our gravelly tracks are washing away and the horses have their bums to the hedge. They’ve all had a feed and have hay although there is grass still growing. We went out this morning for breakfast and to pick up a new battery for my Freelander, and on the way home floods were up to the top of our Isuzu pick up side bars, I reckon it’s all a lot worse now from what I’ve seen on social media.

eggs

Visit site
It was dry here this morning (North Oxon) so I turned the horses out. It started raining at 11ish although it was very light with hardly any wind. The horses were standing around looking miserable so I caught them in at 1. It is now raining very heavily and I've just got back in from haying them up again and skipping out and they are all happy munching away. The forecast for tomorrow is heavy rain all morning so I'll probably hay them in the morning and turn them out for a few hours in the afternoon when the rain is due to be lighter.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Our YO had put hay in the barn this morning, hoping to encourage my horse and his field mate into the shelter. When I arrive they came trotting down the field grumbling that they were starving because their forage was in the horse-eating shed! Once all the hay was moved into the field they were much happier, though in the wind. It is now raining hard but they are well-rugged and now fed so will be fine.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Ponies have stationed themselves in the shelter, glad they appreciate it. So hay nets hung inside for them to munch on today. Wind isn't as bad as last weekend yet but the rain is lashing down here in Dorset.

I'm not even checking the garden. Fences haven't been repaired from last weekend yet.

Surbie

Visit site
Managed to get horse out and all my yard chores done before the rain & wind really started & legged it home for home chores...Now listening to the howling gale outside and getting ready to go bring in early. Hoping he is sensible.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm in East Devon, quite high up here as we're on the eastern side of the Exe Valley and our winds blow in from Dartmoor and the South West.

Friend and I had intended to ride this morning! I peeked out at 7am and it was like a carwash in my yard, and it basically stayed that way all morning.

Put my two mares out (cobs) into a little hardstanding area as that's the only place they could reasonably go - everything else is like a sponge here. They had their rugs on, with plenty of hay, and a tiny tiny bit of grass if they'd wanted it, so it could have been worse, but come midday and they were still looking at me with faces like a slapped arse.

Now, in the last couple of hours, the wind has risen......

Hate it, just hate this!

CharlieChook

Visit site
Help! Very windy and wet out there, horrible! We have two native ponies (Irish cob and Welsh sec A) who’ve been out constantly but are rugged. We’re new to horse ownership, and don’t have a field shelter but they do have access to their stables. Daft things look utterly miserable but aren’t going there for shelter. Do you think we should stick them in? Storm not going to settle until tomorrow....

Spotherisk

Visit site
Help! Very windy and wet out there, horrible! We have two native ponies (Irish cob and Welsh sec A) who’ve been out constantly but are rugged. We’re new to horse ownership, and don’t have a field shelter but they do have access to their stables. Daft things look utterly miserable but aren’t going there for shelter. Do you think we should stick them in? Storm not going to settle until tomorrow....

If they’re used to living out and are warm and dry under the rugs then no, leave them to it. Do they have forage, either grass or hay?