Stormy day support group!

oldie48

Visit site
Rose and Fatty are having a duvet day today but I am hoping I can put them out late morning tomorrow as forecast is better then. Just taken dog out and it is absolutely vile, so wet and windy. Everywhere is sodden, I need some sunshine!

paddy555

Visit site
It is awful on the southern edge of Dartmoor in Devon, the wind is picking up force all the time and the rain is very heavy. Our gravelly tracks are washing away and the horses have their bums to the hedge. They’ve all had a feed and have hay although there is grass still growing. We went out this morning for breakfast and to pick up a new battery for my Freelander, and on the way home floods were up to the top of our Isuzu pick up side bars, I reckon it’s all a lot worse now from what I’ve seen on social media.

we did Two Bridges today and it is difficult to see where the river is, just one massive flood everywhere. Bellever bridge impassable to cars and we needed the defender to get through around 3pm. Never ever seen the river at Bellever so high. By 3 pm the sides of the clapper bridge were completely submerged and you could only see the horizonal stone above the water. That was partly submerged. As this is still going on I expect it will be submerged by the end of this evening.
There were floods on the common on the edge of the road to Tavistock and ducks swimming on them. . (this is an open moorland road)
I've been here nearly 50 years and I have never seen anything like this before. It is way beyond the worst it has ever been.

Which roads did you find had the worst flooding?

SEL

Visit site
We actually haven't had much rain around me today but the fields are so saturated that the rain on Thurs night and today have meant lakes appearing in the lower ones. 25mm due in overnight so we'll be swimming tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone in the high risk areas.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Biggest annoyance today (apart from windblown sodden fuzzies in sodden paddocks) is the Sky box losing signal! DH out all day and I'm an idiot as I cant remember how to just work the TV without Sky, grr!

Edit, worked it out and was able to watch the Aintree trial!
Got back in from yard a little while ago, found the beam thing on the dish had come away and cables apart. V pleased with myself that I managed to dry out connections and refix it, but how long it will last, I don't know.....
Left 3 out of 4 fuzzies out, tiniest one is in, fingers crossed.... fields sodden....

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
This morning was fine quite nice and balmy. Had a nice hack with a friend riding my old guy and my dog then turned out. Finished all jobs by midday then made the mistake of going to Sainsbury’s on a Saturday o_O. Rain came in about 1pm and it’s got steadily worse since. The boys were happy to come in about 4.30. Popped down the beach with the dog on the way home just to show him how bad it is so hopefully he’ll not fret for a longer walk. He seemed pretty happy to go home after 10 minutes being buffeted by wind and rain.

Chianti

Visit site
Pony's in a paddock with a field shelter. This has seen better days and this afternoon my nerve cracked with it. Pony is very chilled but even he was getting startled by the noise the wind was making as it hit it. He's spending the night and tomorrow in the field with a herd that he knows well. I'd rather he was wet than dodging the roof as it blows off at 2am.

Spotherisk

Visit site
we did Two Bridges today and it is difficult to see where the river is, just one massive flood everywhere. Bellever bridge impassable to cars and we needed the defender to get through around 3pm. Never ever seen the river at Bellever so high. By 3 pm the sides of the clapper bridge were completely submerged and you could only see the horizonal stone above the water. That was partly submerged. As this is still going on I expect it will be submerged by the end of this evening.
There were floods on the common on the edge of the road to Tavistock and ducks swimming on them. . (this is an open moorland road)
I've been here nearly 50 years and I have never seen anything like this before. It is way beyond the worst it has ever been.

Which roads did you find had the worst flooding?

We haven’t been too far, Bovey Tracey/Bickington/Ashburton areas not open morning but there was a lot of standing water and water pouring out of gateways and through walls. The Ashburton to Newton Abbot road has some bad flooding and Tesco’s opposite NA racecourse has a foot of water in the car park which means the racecourse is under two feet! Exeter Racecourse haven’t cancelled tomorrow’s meet yet, cannot understand why though. Weirdly we have had two pairs of Mandarin ducks arrive on our pond, no idea where they’ve blown in from!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Had to clean the mirror so I could see to get the hay out of my eye.

Wet, wet, wet! Watched the racing on my tablet as I think our aerial was knocked out of position last week, signal keeps going. ?

Archangel

Visit site
Wales is taking a hammering again. Meant to be 71mph and certainly feels like it.

My car got hit by a bit of branch and now the number plate is hanging off.

oldie48

Visit site
We were forecast very high winds and heavy rain until 13.00 today. It is calm and dry so Rose and Fatty have gone out, sadly my clinic for today was cancelled but I'll ride Rose later on. My fields are very wet but the arena just soaks up everything that the weather chucks at it, it's just covered in debris from the trees!

palo1

Visit site
Not surprisingly our village (Welsh borders) is cut off again - varying amounts of water from 18inches to 3 foot on the roads as well as full width landslides. The wind was severe last night but no damage done thankfully. Our horses have been on the yard for weeks - a hard yard, open barn and open stables with made up beds. The winter turnout is just too grim to put them out into/open up from the yard. It is vile hard work keeping it all clean, especially as water and debris rushes down the hill across our land and the yard. But we are all ok! We have water, leccy, logs, tea, coffee, wine, chocolate and a freezer full of things so really we are just very, very bored!! I was hoping to ride today as I haven't taken my chap out all week but it is absolutely hammering down again and most routes are not viable even on horseback. I feel so so sorry for the stock in the fields - particularly sheep on stubble turnips :( It is very, very sad to see so many people's homes affected horribly and we are thinking of those folk at the moment.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Wind has actually died right down but it’s still raining. First duvet day for the boys in about 3 years so not doing too badly. Fields are sodden otherwise I may have still turned out. It also means I don’t have to cut my day up getting back to bring them in early. Lunged the ginger one as he was a bit restless. Old boy wanted to go out until he saw the other one being lunged then he kept quiet to avoid the same fate ?.

oldie48

Visit site
Not surprisingly our village (Welsh borders) is cut off again - varying amounts of water from 18inches to 3 foot on the roads as well as full width landslides. The wind was severe last night but no damage done thankfully. Our horses have been on the yard for weeks - a hard yard, open barn and open stables with made up beds. The winter turnout is just too grim to put them out into/open up from the yard. It is vile hard work keeping it all clean, especially as water and debris rushes down the hill across our land and the yard. But we are all ok! We have water, leccy, logs, tea, coffee, wine, chocolate and a freezer full of things so really we are just very, very bored!! I was hoping to ride today as I haven't taken my chap out all week but it is absolutely hammering down again and most routes are not viable even on horseback. I feel so so sorry for the stock in the fields - particularly sheep on stubble turnips :( It is very, very sad to see so many people's homes affected horribly and we are thinking of those folk at the moment.
It has been such a hard winter for so many people and the animals too. It must dry up soon. Chocolate and red wine are my go to when I need my spirits raised. I am really very lucky here but am surrounded by flooded roads so can't get anywhere!

Mrs B

Visit site
Had to take a big detour on the way to the yard this morning ... (photo taken by another owner later - I got there in the dark and fortunately, this is on a straight piece of track between 2 blind bends as I think it might've made a mark on my paintwork if I'd've hit it ...)
Didn't think I'd be able to pull this one out of the way on my own, somehow :cool:

Attachments

• 86486600_179448359988606_6733125431421042688_n.jpg
    86486600_179448359988606_6733125431421042688_n.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 32

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It hasn't been quite as bad as expected here. We are not far from the Calder Valley, although much higher up. The wind has dropped since yesterday but there has been an awful lot of rain. Our fields are soaked, the winter field is cut up dreadfully but I am refusing to put them anywhere else. to cut up more land. Horses went out for an hour yesterday while we mucked out etc and the same will happen to day.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
All routes flooded here still, but the drive to the yard was passable this morning whereas it was decidedly dodgy last night (was expecting to need a lift in the tractor today :p)
Field horses are soggy but coping. Field looks like it's about ready to grow rice but it will recover.
The others went out this morning and are drying out now. I keep thinking perhaps the rain is stopping and i should go and ride but realistically I think it's going to keep chucking it down all day :(

Ciara we mainly had wind and some heavy rain but Dennis has been the other way round. I preferred last weekend tbh!

Landcruiser

Visit site
It was a wild night in Wiltshire, our bedroom has velux windows and it was LOUD. The wind had died down this morning and I managed a 45 min hack up the road, got back just too late to avoid the next lot of wind and driving rain so me and horse got a soaking. There are one or two more trees down in the woods, and the mud is....argh!

windand rain

Visit site
fields are lying in water after torrential rain overnight but the wind has dropped to blustery and it has stopped raining so hopefully the wind will help the land dry out. Kind of glad the wind came with rain as when its dry and windy we get cut off by sand drifts at least the top soil is staying put

Surbie

Visit site
This is the first time I've ever known the majority of the winter fields to be closed here. They are nearly all lakes. It's just for a day, but is totally against our YM's ethos so I get how desperate she must be feeling.

My boy's out, keeping the one boy out at grass company. Fortunately the wind isn't too bad today. I was deeply impressed at his behaviour coming in yesterday in 50mph wind. Very prancy and snorty but stayed with me. A death grip on the bridle may have also helped!

NinjaPony

Visit site
Non stop rain here in Gloucestershire....

Second day of no turnout, fields are under water so it’s fair enough.

My Connie is unhappy about it, he’s getting handgrazed twice a day and I’m going to try and have a quick ride in the school to keep him moving.

My welsh is stiff from being in, so I’ve upped his danilon and am taking him out for a walk twice a day.

We are all fed up of being rained on... ponies are grumpy, I am grumpy, everything is soaking wet, I’m using bedding and haylage like it’s going out of style...

Bring on spring!!

Cloball

Visit site
Blue skies in North Wales but 5 mins ago I couldn't see out the window into the garden for the sheets of hail. My plants look a bit like they've been sat on.

emilylou

Visit site
Support needed! YO has decided that our entire yard of horses- who are all used to living out 24/7 are now going to be kept in for at least a week with no turnout! One has COPD and one has dust allergy, none are used to being stabled long term, we have no arena and so only option at the moment would be to hack for exercise- after work in the dark. I have 3 (one with dust allergy) and finish work at 5. All liveries are here due to all year turnout. Field is trashed already so a week off will make no difference at all, apart from creating a bunch of stressed unhappy horses and a whole load of extra work. And there are plently of spare fields left rested for spring.
Really hoping she sees sense!!

emilylou

Visit site
Support needed! YO has decided that our entire yard of horses- who are all used to living out 24/7 are now going to be kept in for at least a week with no turnout! One has COPD and one has dust allergy, none are used to being stabled long term, we have no arena and so only option at the moment would be to hack for exercise- after work in the dark. I have 3 (one with dust allergy) and finish work at 5. All liveries are here due to all year turnout. Field is trashed already so a week off will make no difference at all, apart from creating a bunch of stressed unhappy horses and a whole load of extra work. And there are plently of spare fields left rested for spring.
Really hoping she sees sense!!