STORY TIME

GTs

Visit site
So my fiancé and I took a job looking after 4 horses (part time, really just clean stalls, turn them out, bring them in, etc) for a family in return for rent-free living in the apartment above the barn. The family seemed very nice, and we have always got on well with them, and we believe they liked us.

Well about 2 weeks into our job here, we met her friend who is a self-expressed horse, here are some tip bits:

You cannot feed horses at different times as they will colic
Horses cannot be turned out for 1 hour after they eat
She had put the horses on 9 different supplements
She told us dunking is healthy
That we should give none working horses electrolytes
The stalls need to be kept 9 inches deep, argued that it would just make a mess when the damp shavings were kicked around.
She put the shavings in big piles to 'air' out the stalls (isn't it the shavings that need to be aired)
Every night she gave the horses hay she would waste about 1/3 of a bale
She put one of the horses in training with her friend 1 week after the horse got off the track
Her friend burnt it out in 6 weeks
I saw a video of the trainer - her transition to canter is horrible - through the horse away and fell forward.
After being the first to get on one filly after her time off, I was told I weighed too much to ride her - I weigh 160lbs.

When we came to the farm, we asked how much involvement would there be in the barn, and we were assured there would be minimal. Well over the past 2 months this lady has become a self appointed manager, and I let it roll of me for a bit, but this week when she told me I needed to come home at lunch to muck out one horse, because she wants to be in/out (stall backs onto the paddock), I felt it had gone too far.

There are a couple problems - one is she claims she knows so much. She has told me numerous times about riding in England, however I think the story has grown, and all it ever was, was the donkey ride at Blackpool. The beauty about horses is, it is very easy to see who has experience and who does not – in fact apart from inexperienced helicopter pilots, inexperienced horse people stand out more than anyone. The other problem is the fact that when you live and work in the same place you never get away from your job, and if it goes bad it is horrible.

Needless to say I told the owner her friend was not allowed in the barn (remember they told us it was our barn), or I was leaving - I am moving out this week.
wink.gif

Dumb horse people do my head in!!!!!!!

Unless Mother Teresa comes back I doubt they will find anyone with experience to deal with this lady.

highlandhart

Visit site
I've had the same type person here at our yard .Can't ride ,can't handle a beast in the stable ,all horses have some obscure problem. I give them the boot .Damn! It's good to be the king !!!! hope life gets better GT

ruscara

Visit site
Oh, what a shame it's all gone wrong for you
frown.gif
It did seem such a great deal for free accommodation, and I am so sorry to hear that this one stupid woman has spoiled it.
I feel sorry for the horses, if the family believe what she says. And, as you say, I doubt very much if they will find anyone who can cope with her.