Stow Horse fair

Munchie

Visit site
Aparently its on the 19th or the 26th of October from what I can find online (which is not very helpful)
If it is on we'll be going this year!
grin.gif

the watcher

Visit site
some are ok, and even have papers..but there is the usual collection of sad NF ponies, riddled with worms and destined to live very short lives. You need to be very selective!
As a day out it is hugely entertaining, overdressed girls, boys with their shirts off looking for the next fight and stalls selling all manner of stuff you wouldn't give house room to or ever put on your horse!

Cheesey2983

Visit site
Its the funniest/scariest day out! i had a great time lots of weirdos and very rich pikeys convenient that one i think. Its good and some of the horse look ok but wud suggest going with some1 with the experience of it.

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with feel sorry for a sad pony and taking it home???

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume you are joking? This just encourages the people who make a living of selling poor and neglected animals at fairs such as this, quite apart from the fact that whoever buys it takes on a lifetime responsibility for livery and the huge vets bills that will inevitably follow...Oh to be a millionare philanthropist, but I am not and I suspect neither are most of the contributors to this forum

jess_asterix

Visit site
i love it!! go to most of the horse fairs in the country!
haha we are usually the overdressed girls as i go with my traveller mates for the shopping and fit pikey lads lol!
but yeh there are some nice horses that go for mega money
and some scratty ones!

Judie

Visit site
No actually I wasn't joking. I take your point about encouraging some of the people who trade at these fairs but I disagree with your comments about live time responsibility for livery fees - every time you buy a horse you take on that responsibility wherever you purchased it from, and owning a horse is a lottery when it comes to vet bills.

I do agree with the ban of these types of fairs as having been there recently there are some very sad cases in deed. (although there were some very well cared for horses to I might add).

icestationzebra

Visit site
Not to be contraversial..... well what the hell - TO BE contraversial.... why do people go to these fairs? Sounds absolutely horrendous to me! Would spend all day surrounded by people I spend my entire life trying to avoid!!
blush.gif

Thoughts?

jinglejoys

Visit site
I go because its the only place I'm likely to find a riding mule although now I have Malaga I don't have to but Its a great place to get photos of lovely cobs

StoweMay06034.jpg

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No actually I wasn't joking. I take your point about encouraging some of the people who trade at these fairs but I disagree with your comments about live time responsibility for livery fees - every time you buy a horse you take on that responsibility wherever you purchased it from, and owning a horse is a lottery when it comes to vet bills.

I do agree with the ban of these types of fairs as having been there recently there are some very sad cases in deed. (although there were some very well cared for horses to I might add).

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to me why anybody would knowingly take home one of these sad cases then. Yes, buying horses is a lottery, that is why we have them vetted and research their history, to minimise the likelihood of anything going wrong. But to buy a terrified yearling for £50 which is already infested seems to me the height of madness.

Actually I wouldn't want to ban the fairs, they have a long tradition over hundreds of years as meeting points for many Romany and travelling communities, I would just like to see stricter controls on the welfare of the animals (including dogs and songbirds)presented for sale there

dieseldog

Visit site
We bought a really nice pony from Stow one year (this is the Andoversford one?) I think we paid about £600 for her and sold her a week later for £1500.

It's faboulous, absolute crap, farm sale rusted rubbish, sunday market tac, and the absolute certainty that you are going to get run over by someone driving a pony at a flat out trot.

Ignore all the little ponies, and the pikeys telling you how they are going for meat.

Fancy going Weezy?

the watcher

Visit site
Stow and Andoversford were actually seperate events, about a week apart. Since the auctioneers dropped out of Andoversford I don't think it is running any more.
Stow, however, is a fixture!