Strange behaviour in older jumping pony

measles

Visit site
This is a strange one and I'd be grateful for any thoughts as I'm increasingly concerned about A's 13.2hh jumping pony, Polly.

Our plans were in a month or so's time for B who has grown recently to begin a long gentle hacking fittening process as Polly is rising 23yo and has been out of work for about 18 months waiting for B to grow. What work she would be capable of I don't know but our plan was to monitor how she was back in work very very closely, calling it a day and permanent retirement if there was any suggestion that she couldn't or wasn't happy being ridden again. She has (aside from a check ligament injury 4 months into our ownership which resulted in her having a foal to Tiny Tim, Poppy, who B is now jumping) always been hale, hearty, bright and in great condition, never stressy in the stable and as quiet as a mouse when in.

However, about 5 weeks ago she started when she came in from the field (she is out 8-3pm) walking purposefully around her stable always to the right. She would do it for about 20mins and then stop and eat her hay as though nothing had happened, and would be settled and quiet until the same time the next day when she came in and would do the same. She almost looks "zoned out" when she is doing it and sometimes shakes her head. Most oddly for her she then started trotting around at catch time, looking to get in, which is definitely not her as she has been awkward to catch since the day we got her. Again, she would box walk for up to 30mins and then almost as though a switch had lifted she would eat and behave normally.

She had stopped this for about 10 days and been entirely normal again, and then a few days ago it started again. Just now I can see her walking slowly but always to the right around her field. Nothing at all has changed in her routine, feed, management, field companions or anything I can think of. She is vaccinated, wormed and has her teeth and feet done regularly. My vet came out a few weeks ago and took bloods but could see nothing wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If it was neurological I'd have thought we wouldn't have had a couple of weeks where she was fine but I am becoming increasingly worried and clearly B can't bring her back into gentle work until we know that she is completely well. She has been the most fabulous pony for us and her other owners and will have anything she needs to make her comfortable, and has a home for life with us.

Leg_end

Visit site
Did they check for toxins when they did the blood work? How to you give water in the field? Has there be a change of routine / field in the last few weeks?

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
It sounds, to me, like an 'old age' thing. If she was human I'd be thinking dementia or something along those lines. Sorry.

I should point out I know nothing more than hearsay about dementia/old age in humans or horses...

Will keep fingers crossed you get some answers of reassurance soon.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Something to do with ears perhaps as it seems to be one sided, like a balance/internal issue? Or an eyesight issue on one side, as though she's checking the stable then getting in a semi trance like state from circling?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Have you tried a bute trial? I would be tempted to try one just to see if this make any difference as will then rule out any muscular/pain issues.

Surreydeb

Visit site
I would second a bute trial. Animals sometimes use these kind of actions to distract themselves from pain. Hope you get to the bottom of it. X

amage

Visit site
Sounds like a problem with her nearside eye to me. Have seen similar behaviour in a horse that had an eye removed...at best it could only be guessed that horse was establishing the boundaries of the stable. He continued doing it for the rest of his days

ETA reason for looking to come in could be due to daylight dropping and harder to guage shadows etc if it is her eyes

Last edited:

Quadro

Visit site
Mild spasmodic colic? Only talking from human experiance but in elderly patients they have really slow digestive systems and often require daily laxatives.
Q