Strange behaviour----sorry its actually quite long!!!!

pocket

Visit site
Ralph has always been a good horse, he came to us as a rescue when he was a yearling. He was stabled at the same yard for approx 6yrs, he became very attached to my pony and they were always together.

Unfortunately, I had to leave my yard and moved the pair to a very remote and quiet yard which did not suit, but had fantastic hacking which we used daily and chilled out for 6 months. Towards the winter it became apparent that it would not be an ideal yard to stay at so we moved back to a larger livery yard.

This was not a great move either! One problem after another, it felt cursed! My pony died suddenly and then Ralphs charactor changed completely, he became possessive of me and dominent in the field, this was alway Fly's trait.

Ralph developed a sqeal.....I would try to catch him and he would squeal and run, this has become a habbit when he's a bit fresh and a bit of a game.

However, I moved yards agian as the curse grew (long and depressing story) as soon as I was able to get away which took 18 months, I moved to my current yard, we've been there over a year and like all yards it has its problems but is 100% better and Ralph loves his little herd of 4 boys.

He's continued to squeal in the field, but has also started to do it in the stable as well. I've been told by the grooms that some mornings, they go to put his head collar on for rugging and he squeals and spins around the stable. At first I thought they were fibbing, until I saw it for myself.

It used to be random, but now its almost daily, usually in the morning or when I want to bring him out to exercise etc. So, I have associated it with work and having to do something against his will. But it is actually qiuite worrying now as he now bucks and turns his quarters, you have to shout and wait for him to calm down, one girl tends to squeal back at him
grin.gif
.....that works as well
crazy.gif

I'm just worried now as its becoming a problem.....has anyone else experienced this type of behaviour and what did you do/suggest???? Oh, he's 16.2 and approx 600kgs!!!

tangoharvey

Visit site
sounds like he is trying to assert his dominance to me - does he do it if you walk up to the stable with a carrot? I think I would play about with it - does he have to be stabled? Would he be better out? good luck and i am sure you will get some good advice on here....

Shay

Visit site
Is he gelded? And if so might he be a rig or have a retained testicle? Sounds like stallion dominant behaviour that might be worth checking out.

Otherwise - well the technical answer is that you need to be his leader and dominate him - in a nice way of course. But as to how... I'm sorry I'm not sure I can offer much. Good luck!