Strange encounter....

barkinghorse

Visit site
Rode William in the fog last night, schooled him lightly, not asking too much as even with the lights on, couldn't really see the fence!
Anyway, was concentrating on getting a nice flexion on a 20 mtr when i glanced across the arena, and there sat in the middle, watching me was a fox!!!
Will didn't spook, he just kept his eye on it and carried on working!
i went across the paddock to change my rein and it never moved, just sat there watching, and by the time i had come back round the corner it had gone!
Never had that before, it was quite unnerving in a way as it kept eye contact all the time and it was deathly quiet because of the fog.
Just thought i'd share it with you, anyone else had something like that?
Jo

Law

Visit site
That sounds really eerie and spooky!
crazy.gif

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
One of my friends was having a lesson in the school last weekend, and a fox ran out from the barn and across the school into the field - the hunt were out that day in the area!!! Maybe since the hunting ban they are growing in numbers, as predicted!!!!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Wow, that would have been amazing! It must have been a very confident/cocky fox! Or maybe it was a dressage fox and giving you marks out of 10 for your movements!
tongue.gif

sally2008

Visit site
We have a fox at the yard who often does the same. The horses never seem to be bothered by him. He sits on a bank overlooking the school for ages, just watching what's going on.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Foxes are a complete pain!! They appear to think my arena is a giant fox-litter-box-come-play-pen.

They are always playing in there and digging and poo everywhere!!

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
We used to have a family of fox cubs schooling with us in the menage!!! A couple used to dart about and play - but the third was really bold and used to literally trot circles with you!!! At first the horses freaked but then they got used to it! It's a very strange experience riding so close to a wild animal - who's actually choosing to be in your company!
crazy.gif

Kate x

Parkranger

Visit site
Not a spooky one but I've had two close encounters of a deer kind!

Once we were talking through the woods, and a deer popped out and was literally 3 feet from us just watching us.

Second time, we were galloping up hill when about 5 deer jumped out and joined us - very much a black beauty moment - made me feel quite emotional, and made Ty buck! haa haa

Suppose it's cause they're both flight animals there isn't any fear of the horse. Plus, if you stuck some antlers on the boy he's the same colour as a deer!

x

samp

Visit site
We have a resident fox in our school. Every night it'll sit in the school watching. First few times Lot's would really be a pain to ride but she is now used to have an observer

charlie76

Visit site
We always have foxes in our arena- even in a group lesson! Some times they trot off over the poles aswell- Our horses seem to take it as the norm!

A few weeks ago a deer ran across the arena making a honking noise- now that WAS scary!

Twiglet

Visit site
We have a herd of deer live on the yard (they're the only ones with 365 day 24/7 turn out apparently!).

They'll often stand in the adjoining field and watch us school, and have been known twice to jump in and out of the school whilst I'm riding - the expression 'jumps like a stag' really doesn't do them justice!

They often graze next to the horses, and as a result I have a deerproof horse out hacking and around the farm, which is a real result as they're everywhere!

The only time they're really annoying is when they go on to the yard overnight and nick the horses' breakfasts.

Last month I had a barn owl land and watch us from the school gate - that one really freaked me out, I'm sure it's a sign of death or something!

suzyseymour

Visit site
I have had visits from some foxes, hares, phesants, I have a little owl in the tree at the bottom of the field and bats out every night. I only have a 5 acre field it must be the place to hang out for all the wild life! I was riding up the road next to the field in the middle of the day when 2 badgers appeared from the grass verg, wandered 50yards up the road in front of the horse and then disappeared into the other grass verg.

Hornby

Visit site
On a less "beautiful nature" note, I used to teach at a yard that kept a mare and foal in the indoor arena at night. They were fed there. On private lessons, when it was quiet, we used to have a rat come out from under the kicking boards to eat the spilled food. We used to joke that it would soon be wearing jods and a hat and giving advice.....we had to be careful to keep eye contact with the clients so they didn't spot it too ! PS My cat often "judges" my dressage attempts at home too.