Strange lameness - any ideas?

amycamycamyc

Visit site
Any ideas on what this could be? 10 days ago My horse started to sort of 'hop' in trot in the indoor school - it felt like she was trying to strike off into canter, every 8-10strides or so, always on the same leg. I couldn't stop her doing it so got off and trotted her up. She was almost completely sound on hard ground, but in the indoor school was still putting the little hop in, every few strides. No heat/swelling in any leg. YO saw her and thought she'd just taken a knock to shoulder - nothing to worry about, probably bruised, few days off. She was still being turned out but I gave her a few days off... No improvement. Farrier saw her, said 'sound as a pound' on hard, still hopping on soft but very odd- sound for nine strides then puts in a hop. Vet saw her - said nothing too much to worry about, few more days off, should be fine. Now we're 11 days later and she's not really any better :-(
Any ideas what it could be? I'm tempted to box rest her for a week now to see if that helps. She is completely sound in walk on both surfaces.

doonrocket

Visit site
Have had something similar. Being going on a while trots up sound but in the school every 6= paces he had a very odd movement almost a stringhalt in his leg. Improved with rest and work on his back , but still has not come right. Noticed a muscle imbalance a month ago and it seems he is not putting his weight through his left shoulder. Having a nerve block and x rays on friday. I think the hop is down to a refered pain running through his back and into his hamstrings.

GoodyGoody

Visit site
Did this happen from one day to the next or is it a problem that has got worse over time? If it only happens ridden, it would suggest to me that it is a musculo/skeletal issue which is exacerbated with the saddle and weight of the rider so therefore I would be looking in the back and the withers. Have you checked your saddle to make sure it fits properly and for example the tree is not broken? Unlikely but worth checking.