Strange mark under her girth...

_jetset_

Visit site
As most of you know, Hannah is now 5 months in foal. She is still enjoying her hacks and is just being taken in the school for a long and low session a couple of times a week (I have been told lots of long and low work will help keep her back muscles supple for birth).

She is sweating quite a lot under her saddle and where her girth goes but I keep the girth clean and wipe the areas that are sweaty with a sponge. However, the last couple of weeks I have notices an area of dry skin appear right where the girth sits (about the size of a 10p) which is quite flaky although started as a small sore??

I have been putting Dermagel on it when she goes out as a barrier and keeping it moisturised at night as it seems so dry. Could it be that her girth has started rubbing in this one small place because her shape is changing? Or do you think this could be a patch of eczema or soriorsis (sp?)

Thanks,

Rebecca

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
It sounds like fold dermatitis to me - H got it in July when the weather was really hot and she was sweaty even whilst stood in the stable - I had my vet check it out and the best thing to use is sudocreme - it's got anti-inflamatory properties as well as for the dry skin - I then used cling film over my girth to ensure that it was perfectly clean each time I rode - it soon cleared up.
Kate x

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks Kate... been using E45, don't know why I didn't think of sudocream as my Mum thinks it heals everything! I used to get really bad eczema on my chin when I was a little girl and although it stung like hell, it worked!

Will try the cling film too on my girth! Would never have thought of that...

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
That's ok - the clingfilm really does work - and you'll be amazed by the colour of it when you strip it off (YUK!) makes you realise just how grubby the girths get each day - and who cleans girth daily these days?
confused.gif

H's dermatitis cleared up really quickly doing this
Kate x