Strange question....maybe for Levrier ?

bonny

Visit site
I am looking for a new dog and ideally want an adult/young dog who needs a new home. Always had collies and still have one but she's 16 and obviously slowing down. I live on a canal tow path and do a lot of walking and some running and so I want a dog that would be happy to run for an hour or so. Would a greyhound do that ? I feel a bit of a numpty asking but they seem to prefer walking or going fast. I have thought about rehoming a greyhound for years and maybe now is the time.....

Annette4

Visit site
It's about finding the right dog, some will and others won't.....I know some who would pack their bags at the first hit of going beyond the sofa. If you can't find a suitable greyhound a lurcher might be a good bet as they tend to have a bit more of an inclination to exercise ;)

{97702}

Visit site
In my experience the more racing a greyhound has done the less inclined they are to run once they have retired - a bit broad brush I know, but as an example I only commented to my OH yesterday that Hoover and Islay (who raced) never ever exert themselves on a dog walk whereas Flick and Amy (who didn't) race around like lunatics 😄

I would agree with Annette4 that a lurcher might be a good option? I am sure there are greyhounds who run, perhaps mine are just lazy.... :) :)

Peter7917

Visit site
Get a lurcher. My lurchers would happily do what your after :)

That said I'm sure you could find a suitable greyhound too, you do get the odd boistrous, exuberant one that would benefit from the exercise

CrazyMare

Visit site
My greyhound runs with me. I run like a geriatric tortoise but manage 5km in 30-35 mins. She gets an hours walk every morning and a shorter walk or a run at night. I take her eventing with me and she enjoys her days out then sleeps very well!!!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Get a lurcher. My lurchers would happily do what your after :)

That said I'm sure you could find a suitable greyhound too, you do get the odd boistrous, exuberant one that would benefit from the exercise

I've got a working bred whippet and whippety lurcher. My OH takes both running on a regular basis. It does tire the whippet out as he finds slow sustained exercise much harder than short fast bursts, but he loves it and looks amazing for it. And to be honest, it does him the world of good! Before I got injured and met my OH I used to run with him off lead. 5k left me knackered and him ready to go again :lol: He is very tough and keen though and used to happily do 5 hours fell walking. The lurcher is nowhere near as fast but has much more stamina, probably due to the big dose of collie and saluki. Shes much more suited to a running companion if thats your primary aim.

My friend has greyhounds and does the odd amateur race with them, she used to keep them fit by running with them until she damaged her foot, so now she exercises them with her on a push bike. I have never seen such fit looking dogs! Not sure a greyhound would be my first choice though! She works very hard to do what she does and she cant miss a day as they are just so, sooo fit!

bonny

Visit site
Thank you all, sounds like it is a possibility, just need to find the right dog now !

Leo Walker

Visit site
G's are to big, whippets rule!

Also this!! Mine has been the out and out dog of a lifetime for me. I had no idea dogs like him existed! Dont underestimate how big greyhounds are, they are huge compared to my boy and hes a massive chunk of a dog standing 21/22tts. He dwarfs most whippets yet stood next to a greyhound he looks like a toy!

{97702}

Visit site
Also this!! Mine has been the out and out dog of a lifetime for me. I had no idea dogs like him existed! Dont underestimate how big greyhounds are, they are huge compared to my boy and hes a massive chunk of a dog standing 21/22tts. He dwarfs most whippets yet stood next to a greyhound he looks like a toy!

Greyhounds come in all sizes - I have one which is 36kg and one which is 20kg, both pure bred :) can't remember their measurements TTS but small one is the size of a show whippet at the most. they certainly don't take up a lot of space and their temperament is much more laid back and easy than a whippet - depends really what the OP is looking for I suppose :)

I'm glad people have posted that they can run with their greyhounds - I tend to run for 4-5 miles minimum which I think is what my lot struggle with, after all they are designed as sprinters with lots of fast twitch muscles rather than endurance athletes :D :D

{97702}

Visit site
Thank you all, sounds like it is a possibility, just need to find the right dog now !

Perhaps I should clarify that I've only been answering the bit about running with them - mine will walk for hours/miles very happily and love exercise even though they are now all in their later years. They will take as much or as little exercise as you feel inclined to give them, but the joy is that even after a 10 minute stroll they are happy to chill out and relax for the rest of the day. Don't be misled into thinking they need loads of exercise every day, that certainly isn't the case :)

I've got an awesome pic of my big fawn boy when I first got him straight from the trainer - 100% pure muscle - but even then he was as laid back as they come :) They really are fabulous adaptable dogs which have the massive benefit of being incredibly laid back and easy :)

CrazyMare

Visit site
Mine is a purebred greyhound too. She's 27kg, and wears a 28" greyhound coat which seems to be much smaller than a 28" standard dog coat!!

Mine sits on my lap or lies on me when we go to events and things. I can sit in a crowd at say a water jump and get her on my lap to take up less space

MuddyTB

Visit site
Lévrier;13270418 said:
Perhaps I should clarify that I've only been answering the bit about running with them - mine will walk for hours/miles very happily and love exercise even though they are now all in their later years. They will take as much or as little exercise as you feel inclined to give them, but the joy is that even after a 10 minute stroll they are happy to chill out and relax for the rest of the day. Don't be misled into thinking they need loads of exercise every day, that certainly isn't the case :)

I've got an awesome pic of my big fawn boy when I first got him straight from the trainer - 100% pure muscle - but even then he was as laid back as they come :) They really are fabulous adaptable dogs which have the massive benefit of being incredibly laid back and easy :)

I think we need to see this picture, (pretty please).

{97702}

Visit site
12196171_10153851553644587_2278874308346069794_n.jpg

Here you are :) sorry possibly not as impressive as you were hoping for but I still find it wonderful :) :)

MuddyTB

Visit site
Lévrier;13271100 said:
12196171_10153851553644587_2278874308346069794_n.jpg

Here you are :) sorry possibly not as impressive as you were hoping for but I still find it wonderful :) :)

He is lovely, just my kind of greyhound. And really well defined muscles, plus a great coat for a racer in kennels.