Strange question re carrots!

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Following on from various posts re horses being incrediably excitable at the moment (mine included!) and discussion about feed, am I totally imagining it or did I read somewhere years ago that feeding high quantities of carrots can cause excitability in some horses?

Would love to know if any nutrition experts out there!

SSM

Visit site
Donkey loves carrots - but fizz bang?? No still the same old donkey
grin.gif

filly190

Visit site
Perhaps I should eat a load, and give more to my hubby, get him off the settee!!

If this is true, we will be having carrots, never mind the horses. Could do with some extra engery, mucking out and working full time is killing me

Kelly1982

Visit site
Never heard of this but i have been told not to feed high quantities of carrots to horses with laminitus or EPSM as they have sugar in them so maybe that has something to do with it.

Better not start feeding them to my horse then
crazy.gif

SJFAN

Visit site
Well the old saying holds good I guess - moderation in everything!
Pat Smythe adovated giving carrots rather than mints as titbits as better for production of salive as well as having some nutritional value.

k9h

Visit site
They can turn the coats on black horses. A friend has some frezions that she does carriage driving with & when she fed the quite a few carrots they lost their black gleam & had a brownish tinge to their coats.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Mine don't really have many carrots, about 3 in thier night time feed. My mare had a small bout of laminitis last year and the vet advised me to steer clear of carrots as there is more sugar in them than people realise and they can actually unbalance your horses feed too. But before i cut down on feeding them i didn't notice mine getting fizzy, but every horse is different.

Peanot

Visit site
Sorry not had time to read all replies, need to get some sleep,
blush.gif
, but when I first had Rox, she went loopy on carrots. It was a process of elimination, with everything that I was feeding her and it was the carrots along with something else. She has calmed down loads now though and she has matured a little, so I have just started to feed them again in a larger quantity and she is taking them ok at the moment. She was a bit of a nutter tho when I bought her.
grin.gif

I phoned her old owner and she confirmed that she never fed any of her horses, all warmbloods, carrots as they hotted themn up.

Tia

Visit site
None of mine get carrots - too high in sugar for my liking but even when I have offered them on the rare occasion they don't know what to do with them. My lot never get hyped up, breeding perhaps, or maybe because they never experience that "sugar-buzz".

A couple of my boarders do feed their horses carrots when they come up a few times a week and I definitely see a difference in their horses attitudes when they have been fed them. One of them becomes particularly excitable and bargy on them; and yet all week when I feed them their normal feeds these horses aren't like this.