strangles... again...

mrussell

Visit site
I have heard tonight that there has been a confirmed case of Strangles at a yard in Whittlesey (P'Boro) and further possible cases in Coates. Word also has it that there are cases at/near Keysoe.

Does anyone have any more on this ?

:(

popsdosh

Visit site
Another Strangles panic!!!! Rumours always fly around,mostly they will be found to be over exaggerated.Nothing I have heard of and my vets cover all those areas .

mrussell

Visit site
Another Strangles panic!!!! Rumours always fly around,mostly they will be found to be over exaggerated.Nothing I have heard of and my vets cover all those areas .

Do you work in the local vets surgery Popsdosh ?? Or do you mean you havent hears any rumours either ?

popsdosh

Visit site
Do you work in the local vets surgery Popsdosh ?? Or do you mean you havent hears any rumours either ?
I wont be answering that one as its nobodies business,However if the local vets knew anything I would know very quickly.
Unsubstantiated rumours chucked about on a forum can quickly ruin somebodies lively hood.I am sorry to be that blunt.

Thistle

Visit site
It's spread by droplet infection, hence in the snot/secretions produced by the horse. Horses need to be in close contact to catch itor there is also a possibility of it spreading via droplets on a handlers clothing etc (not so likely as when it dries it is no longer active)

Good management would mean that you would avoid very crowded aresa at shows (where your horse can make nose contact with another), don't let your horse graze at shows and don't let you horse drink from other peoples troughs and buckets.

It can't travel through the air so as long as you follow sensible precautions there is no need to worry.

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
I was chatting to my vet about this the other day and she said there's pretty much always a rumour bounding about that there's a case of strangles here there and everywhere.

She said that it's actually quite unusual the attitude we have to it over here, she has trained in many different countries and she said they treat it almost like chicken pox in children, people actively want their horses to catch it so they can be treated and then have an immunity built up to it.

There also used to be a vaccine for it that proved not very effective

Strangles itself the illness when it's happening is not the main concern, the real issue with strangles is then trying to prove your horse clear afterwards, and that entails multiple tests and expense and time.

keysoe

Visit site
No known horses with strangles at Keysoe
No horses at Keysoe awaiting test results for Strangles
Can think of no reason for these rumours.

There is a yard 15 miles away that I believe has had a case

mrussell

Visit site
I wont be answering that one as its nobodies business,However if the local vets knew anything I would know very quickly.
Unsubstantiated rumours chucked about on a forum can quickly ruin somebodies lively hood.I am sorry to be that blunt.

Your original response suggested that you were in a position to confirm whether there was an outbreak or not. People need to know the facts and hinting that you may be in position to provide those facts and then take umbridge at being asked doesnt help anyone. Sorry to be blunt.

With Poplar Parks approach to the whole outbreak and the effect it had on the local events and livelihoods, I would rather ask around than live in ignorance.

Keysoe... I hoped you would say that ;)

Jane_Lou

Visit site
The Stables Equestrian Centre in Wilsted has it and is quite openly managing it, the yard has been closed and according to their website is now closed for another two weeks. This open attitude is commendable as they are clearly dealing with it in a very responsible manner. I do really feel for them though, its hard enough to make a living out of horses without having to close for an extended period.

There are many rumours abounding, I heard Keysoe, and Bury Farm and a dozen other yards locally, I suspect they all stem from the Stables as they are all in Bedfordshire.

Just seen that Chiltern Equine are running a Strangles client information evening at Bury Farm on the 23rd May, free admission, donations to the Brooke for anyone interested.

Last edited:

keysoe

Visit site
One of the problems is that there is a week long "dont know" period between a horse with bumpy glands and a strangles test result.

The only really definitive result is a gutteral pouch swab, and that will take a few days for a result - a negative result takes longer than a positive result, as it is a case of the sample not growing.

You would not close every yard every time a horse has glands up, although we tend to get a test on any that show inflammation, just because of the lead time on a result