Strangles outbreak....

miamibear

Visit site
Just to let people know front page of the East Riding Mail today it says there is an outbreak of strangles in the East Yorkshire area. Originating from Cottingham and Beverley.

Vets are advising people with horses not to travel and to stay put. 150 horses have been quarantined at the moment apparently.

Be careful people. If anyone has any more info or conflicting stories please let me know.

Looks like my first dressage may be off for 10th Sept! How long should we wait until we start venturing out?

Claireg9

Visit site
I think it can take quite a while a few months really, as even when it appears gone they have to wait for every horse in quarentine to have tests done to be given the all clear. Im sure if you google it, it will give you advice!

Sparklet

Visit site
Dont worry too much - the vets in question have been putting quite a bit of effort into 'selling' the new strangles vaccination. I think this is just further publicity to boost up sales.

There is always strangles in the area and my regular vet has confirmed that the 'two' diagnosed cases are contained.

Clever editing in the story suggests there have been 150 cases diagnosed but if you read further the 150 relates to the number of horses they have managed to vaccinate so far.

Sparklet

Visit site
No my regular vet strongly advises against it but this particular one is stirring up a whole lot of panic in the area.

I have just rung the vets in question and they said there were 5 confirmed cases in the area. I asked how many there were last year and she said......err I cant remember!

The whole thing smacks of money making to me.

Bex7

Visit site
There are also a couple of yards with it in our area
frown.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
I dont think there is anything to panic about - Strangles is always around somewhere. A lot of horses just get a snotty nose and are a bit off colour for a while so their owners dont even realise. Very few get a bad case and of those that do only in 1% of cases is it fatal.

Good hygiene and keeping separate feed/water buckets is the best way to prevent infection. At shows dont let your horse drink from tanks and get within nose to nose contact with other animals. You should be fine.