Strangles!! :S

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
A yard VERY local to us has had a horse come down with strangles... They are literally across the lane from our fields, and horses from a yard who has contact with them have been using our arena... What should we do?
frown.gif

Thanks!

Tuppence88

Visit site
Don't panic we once had it on our livery yard and we had three horses and they all fought it off with very few signs or symptoms but I would call yad quarentine, including things like hay delivery, and the paper boy/post man know its nerotic but better safe than sorry, basically I would say foot and mouth drills!

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Okay, thankyou! Only problem is we don't have enough stables per horses? We should have enough haylage to last a couple of months, what about cars and clothes and things like that? Can it be carried on wheels? And can we have our horses tested to catch it early if they are infected? Will phone the vet tomorrow and ask more.. Thanks again!

Nailed

Visit site
Fand M precautions good idea, straw and disinfected by the enterence could be an idea, i'd also say overhalls to be put on and removed at the yard..

Get your vet on the phone.

Lou x

tormor

Visit site
If the ones who have had contact don't show any signs in 2 weeks you should be fine. But i would keep yard isolation until other yard is clear. Just hope that they don't do what my ex YO did, she took no precautions and let it run through all 15 of her's. I on the other hand kept mine in their yard on strict isolation and they were all fine. As long as you take the correct precautions you should be fine.

Tia

Visit site
So long as your horses can't touch the neighbouring yards horses they won't get it directly from their horses. They could catch it from someone who goes to both yards though if they don't change their clothing or boots and they must disinfect their hands.

Vehicles are the most likely manner in which strangles could be transferred to your yard. I wonder if there is any way that you can leave your vehicles away from the horses? And then have mats/straw/etc seeped in Povidone or a similar strep-killer. Povidone kills on contact so definitely have some close to hand for any of those in-doubt moments.

I've had dealings with strangles twice in my life (once 30 years ago and the other in the last decade) and both times it was very easy to keep contained and only a handful of horses actually got it simply because they shared a field with the "hidden carrier". If you quarantine your yard for 60 days after the last horse is vetted clear, then you should all be fine.