**Strangles test came back “INTERMEDIATE”** advice wanted!

xCiaraGx

Visit site
Hi all,

My yard has been put on lock down due to a strangles outbreak- in response to this the yard owner arranged all 40 of us to have blood samples taken on Monday evening to see if it had spread and who to.

Luckily many are negative and only two positive. But my boy is one of several “intermediates”!
I’ve been told that this means his system has been introduced to the bacteria but he is not ill currently.

He’s fed on alfalfa chop with pink powder as I find this regulates him really well. I’m hoping as he’s otherwise very fit and healthy and the additional vitamins will help his immune system out a bit.

But is there anything else anyone can think to do please? Obviously vets advice is also being followed!

Thanks!

SEL

Visit site
You'll need a repeat blood test (2 weeks I think) to check the levels haven't gone up.

Not a lot else you can do apart from keep to quarantine precautions. When we had it on our yard my 2 horses were in a paddock together and nowhere near other horses. The gelding had a negative result, but my mare showed a v high level of antibodies and needed a guttural pouch wash.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
We took temperatures twice a day and wrote them on a chart along with nasal discharge observations. Isolate, disinfect everything, don’t touch other horses etc etc.

holeymoley

Visit site
THis happened to my friends horse. None of the other horses had anything but he came back with something showing. He had been a previous rescue case from a well known case that was publicised years ago. Nothing changed but it was a fairly quiet yard. I suppose you would just err on the side of caution with any newbies just as you would normally.

EventingMum

Visit site
One of my horses had 2 inconclusive strangles blood tests so then had a guttural pouch wash to ascertain that there were no condroids present. The fluid from the guttural pouch wash was then sent away but fortunately nothing was cutured from it so no further action was required.