Strangles would you vaccinate??

gingerarab

Visit site
There is an outbreak in our area from what I understand it only involves one horse new to the yard that has been isolated so quite possibly contained , there are near on 100 + equines in our village so a lot of people are quite concerned! The local vet is now offering vaccinations that come with some side effects and only last 3 months ? No idea of cost ? Would you vaccinate? Or am I being a little cynical thinking that this is a good earner for the vets involved ?

be positive

Visit site
If the horse with it has been isolated there is hardly an "outbreak" especially if the horse has only just arrived, I wouldn't vaccinate but would take a few precautions to try and prevent it getting onto my yard and expect the YO that has the horse to take similar precautions, which it sounds like they have.

conniegirl

Visit site
no, the last time strangles vaccines were in the UK it was shown that they made absolutely no difference and there was a question about whether it was making horses more vulnerable.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Out of five horses I had three ill when I vaccinated one was so ill he required a 1am call out and considerable support as his temperature was so high he was at risk of fitting .
I would be very very cautious about vaccinating .

gingerarab

Visit site
If the horse with it has been isolated there is hardly an "outbreak" especially if the horse has only just arrived, I wouldn't vaccinate but would take a few precautions to try and prevent it getting onto my yard and expect the YO that has the horse to take similar precautions, which it sounds like they have.
Although there is one case in our village there are a lot more in the surrounding area hence my terminology! I believe this case has been managed correctly and agree with you on prevention and precautions