Straw mites? Or something else?

samlf

Visit site
My 3 year old has developed a strange little triangular patch just above the front of her hooves on all 4 feet.

She isn't massively feathered but has a bit of feather.

She lives out but they have had barley straw in the field for about a month to nibble on so obviously she has been stood in it.

It isn't sore, no scabs or inflamed looking skin. not itchy. Now the ground is dry I've given them a good brush and got rid of any dried mud. It's a tiny bit scurfy looking but then she is moulting like crazy.

Any ideas for what it could be? doesn't seem to bother her at all.

samlf

Visit site
Photos:
h2_zpse3265f3e.jpeg

and
h1_zps7044af3f.jpeg

As you can see there is a little pink-ish patch but it isn't sore. it looks a lot better after being hibiscrubbed, but yes same place on all 4!

Silverfire

Visit site
Funny how its in the same place on all four! Could be from standing in the straw, some types of barley straw are quite sharp/spiky. I've had horses in the past who have developed non itchy bare patches on their legs when bedded on barley straw.

McCauley

Visit site
Gloi beat me to it!! I'd have gone with 'Bog Burn' too! If she's been living out it may well be that now things are finally drying up, her feathers have been under pressure being constantly wet and now the dry weather is upon us, the weaker hairs in the feathers have snapped off.

My boy's got patches like that too and i'm putting it down to the constantly wet/clay fields that he's been in over Winter, ....especially having to come through a particulary sticky/cloggy gateway every evening when coming in.

If you're in any way doubtful,...a natter to your vet and perhaps sending him/her the pic may help you out in making a decision in what you want to do,..if anything. I can understand why you're thinking 'barley straw' as that's something i can't have near my lad either because of the straw mites!

My guess though is that it is bog burn!