straw or shavings??

pagancluf

Visit site
Getting prepared for winter (sad..
confused.gif
have an ex-racer that is a very dirty boy - will wee on food and then eat it!?!?!? poo's all around stable and treds in it - ) would I be better deep litter-ing on straw or shavings? - will only be able to give it a good sort out poss twice a week with University etc (kid, hubby, dog, fish....) Worry about horse eating all of it's bed if I do on straw - but been giving the smallest stable on the yard for him so want to make comfortable? What do you reckon?

pixiebee

Visit site
shavings, i found straw impossible to deep litter, shavings takes longer to muck out as you spend ages taking little bits of poo floating round the bed out but the wet sinks to the bottom so its easy to stick clean on top.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Ideally rubber matting & small amount of shavings but your initial outlay for the matting will be expensive. Failing that I'd use shavings, I think they're easier to use. Straw doesn't really absorb anything.

the watcher

Visit site
I like shavings but they take ages to rot down and for this reason some yards won't entertain them, in those case I use chopped straw or hemp and semi deep litter, picking off the solids daily and pulling out the wet stuff at weekends

pagancluf

Visit site
Thank you for replies - will do deep litter on shavings and clean out at w/ends - just out of intrest tho - how much is flax a bag, Ive heard its really expensive - is it better than shavings?