Straw Poll - Microchipping Regulations / Updating Passports

jofwigby

Visit site
Would be really interested to know if you have received any correspondence (email or post) from your PIO / Breed Society (or anyone) in the last year, couple of years, ever ? about the new Regulations and checking Food Chain Status for the new Central Equine Database ?

Reactions: DD

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We don't really have a good record with equine databases :p
nope, and I actually thought F didn't have that section as I know the WPCS were supposed to recall some older passports. Got mum to check and apparently yes he does and I signed it with the old vet in 2014, not sure that current vet has ever checked it or just presumed.

I also know there has been some dissent about the charge they want to put in an official microchip page (I don't really understand why that is necessary TBF and haven't made the effort to find out his number is written on a blank page in his passport) and the fact that the office have only been contactable by email recently, no phone calls. I wouldn't know anything about it if I wasn't online.

meleeka

Visit site
No. I had one vaccinated recently with no passport or microchip. It was mentioned that I had two years but it would ptonsbly be as enforced aa the last law 🙄

SEL

Visit site
Nothing from the PIO that the mare is registered with, but I've had to get the Ardennes who is on a Belgian passport over-stamped here so he can go on the central database. Luckily he has a page in his passport about his status for the food industry otherwise that would have been another layer of hassle apparently.

The mare is actually on a copy passport which should mean she is automatically out of the food chain - but that isn't showing on the central database when I checked. At somepoint I'll get around to reminding the PIO that they need to do that, esp as she's had a tonne of bute over the years.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
This.
Though after much chuntering on my part I got the vet to microchip Tammy (12yo) when she was at the vets last week getting her hocks jabbed. Do I need to send her passport back to her PIO to get the microchip details added?

I think that is what the grumbles have been about though I'm not entirely sure why it would need to happen. I'm sticking with the in blue biro on page 2 option myself.

Oh, I forgot the other one is AHS passported, nothing from them either :p

jofwigby

Visit site
This.
Though after much chuntering on my part I got the vet to microchip Tammy (12yo) when she was at the vets last week getting her hocks jabbed. Do I need to send her passport back to her PIO to get the microchip details added?

Yes - this is the bit no one has been informed about - if you have Microchipped or Signed out of the Food chain, you need to inform your PIO and then check that they have updated your record on the CED. Check by entering Microchip Number in Equine Register Chip Checker https://www.equineregister.co.uk/home.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
:rolleyes: nothing from either AES or WPCS. The WB is chipped, welsh isn't, but my vets have checked they've been signed out of the food chain during routine visits recently.

Nothing from HAPPA either, considering I have 2 of theirs on loan... neither chipped, both on BHS passports.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes from one breed society.

Interestingly, on checking their chips (the 3 that I checked are signed out and clearly overstamped by breed societies), neither of the 2 with the SPSBS show as being signed out. I'm going to have to follow that up, as they have clearly signed and stamped in section 9!

Visit site
The Shetland Stud Books Society asked for passports under a certain age to be sent back as they had forgotten to add int he Not For Human Consumption page. But I have heard nothing from the Welsh or Dartmoor societies. My TB's had them in already.

Visit site
Yes from one breed society.

Interestingly, on checking their chips (the 3 that I checked are signed out and clearly overstamped by breed societies), neither of the 2 with the SPSBS show as being signed out. I'm going to have to follow that up, as they have clearly signed and stamped in section 9!

I had a problem witht heir chips! They were put in ponies but never registered with the society nor with the Chip company despite the chips coming straight from head office! It makes a complete mockery of the chipping system! I had to find out which company the chips came from and register the ponies with them myself.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
The Shetland Stud Books Society asked for passports under a certain age to be sent back as they had forgotten to add int he Not For Human Consumption page. But I have heard nothing from the Welsh or Dartmoor societies. My TB's had them in already.

I sent one back, the other was already done. So totally their cockup.
Their paperwork admin is shocking!

Visit site
And they are nearly double for membership than the likes of the FPS and other societies! Let mine drop last year....

They are extortionate! It costs a fortune to regsiter ponies with them too. In fact you have to pay for everything, changing a colt to a gelding, a colt to a stallion, registering a mare as a mare when she has her first produce, even changes of ownership! Its ridiculous! Have you ever been to the office? It is one of the oldest buidlings in Perth. They used to share it with the Highland Pony Society but they couldn't afford it. I hate to imagine how much the SPSBS pay for it...

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Never been there as am opposite end of country, I remember my mother many years ago being very exasperated with them too!
I never got any benefit for the £37.50 apart from 2 magazines, no information about the shows till afterwards..... so used the money to join a 2nd riding club with cash left over lol

Visit site
The WPCS Is £40 for membership (£35 if you pay by card by a certain date) but for that you get the 'Green Bible' - a humungous great big book full of lots of pictures of hunderds of ponies! It's worth the £40 on it's own! The shetland magazines aren't a patch on the Welsh!

Shooting Star

Visit site
Nope not received a thing! Checked my horses microchip no on the new database and it’s not returning anything so although there is definitely a chip in there (been scanned in my presence) and it is printed in the passport it’s not made it to the database.

It’s on my very low priority list of things to do, really can’t see there being any actual ramifications for not spending hours trying to sort it out 🙄

Snowfilly

Visit site
Nothing from anyone... that's clydesdale horse society (expected, as they're stuck in the dark ages even by breed society standards), Arab Horse Society for 2, and Highland Pony society. AHS with all the imports, I'd've expected a bit more from.

Vets haven't said anything either.

catkin

Visit site
Had a letter from my vets re the signing-out page backalong. Both ponies had the correct paperwork and microchips so nothing further needed to be done at that time.
One of the ponies is young so was microchipped when first registered with the breed society as per the rules when he was born. I remember reading info from the breed societies about recalling some passports but that was for some older ponies whose passports needed updating rather than all ponies.

Nasicus

Visit site
Not a peep, although with the recent changes I was able to find out that my youngster was still eligible for eating, despite what her passport said, so that's something to sort.