Straw Poll - Microchipping Regulations / Updating Passports

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yes. The breed society has a website and fb page and sends email updates. I think owners are just as responsible for finding out about equine law.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
No done nothing doing nothing .
Complete waste of time energy and paper .
That's just how I felt. Unfortunately my innate law abiding nature overruled common sense in my case, hence getting mine microchipped whilst she was still under sedation for something else at the vets. Still muttering about it.

The other two are already chipped.

Ester, me manually adding the chip details to the passport seems fine to me. We're not going to be competing at a high level or anything. I'd likely do it by the book for a competition horse.

meleeka

Visit site
I absolutely agree. We already had a law that wasn’t enforced so why have they bothered making another one? It’s been law for a while for young horses to be chipped, so that should have solved the fly grazing problem already.

3OldPonies

Visit site

Me as well, stupid to waste time chasing around. My two are both chipped and signed out, but their previous owner's didn't get their passports updated, and I don't see why I should have to pay for their details to be added. Also, one of the PIO doesn't exist anymore,and hasn't for well over 5 years so how the blooming hell do I get that updated??? I bet the details aren't even on the new database, and I'm not paying for a new passport. For me at least they are only used to record vaccinations.

SNC

Visit site
I hadn't received anything, although my vet did put a facebook post up about the change. I had my 23year old microchipped with her vaccination. The headache came after, as I sent my passport off to be updated, but they wanted a letter from the vet to verify the chip number. So the vet had to come out and scan the chip before submitting a letter to the passport agency. It wasn't until after, I looked again on the passport agency website a form had been added, which had to be sent with the passport, this had to be signed and stamped by the vet. It wasn't there before I sent my passport, as I checked the website .

sywell

Visit site
I think that is what the grumbles have been about though I'm not entirely sure why it would need to happen. I'm sticking with the in blue biro on page 2 option myself.

Oh, I forgot the other one is AHS passported, nothing from them either :p
It is of course an offence for an owner to make alterations in the passport but with 600000 odd horse with no chip on the CED I cannot see DEFRA doing much about it.

sywell

Visit site
I hadn't received anything, although my vet did put a facebook post up about the change. I had my 23year old microchipped with her vaccination. The headache came after, as I sent my passport off to be updated, but they wanted a letter from the vet to verify the chip number. So the vet had to come out and scan the chip before submitting a letter to the passport agency. It wasn't until after, I looked again on the passport agency website a form had been added, which had to be sent with the passport, this had to be signed and stamped by the vet. It wasn't there before I sent my passport, as I checked the website .
The CED and I think studbooks will support the app for the Vets proposed by the CED that identifies each individual vet and and he can update the CED from his phonne and the CED notifies the studbook of origin but I have not seen much support from BEVA

sywell

Visit site
Me as well, stupid to waste time chasing around. My two are both chipped and signed out, but their previous owner's didn't get their passports updated, and I don't see why I should have to pay for their details to be added. Also, one of the PIO doesn't exist anymore,and hasn't for well over 5 years so how the blooming hell do I get that updated??? I bet the details aren't even on the new database, and I'm not paying for a new passport. For me at least they are only used to record vaccinations.
DEFRA will have arranged for a current PIO to take over the old records

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is of course an offence for an owner to make alterations in the passport but with 600000 odd horse with no chip on the CED I cannot see DEFRA doing much about it.

It also mentions he is allergic to sedivet :p, both were alterations by the previous owner about 17 years ago so the passport has been updated by the PIO since then and they have left them in, helpfully!

sywell

Visit site
Not a peep, although with the recent changes I was able to find out that my youngster was still eligible for eating, despite what her passport said, so that's something to sort.
All new passports the default position is they are not signed out of the human food chain. As a breeder I feel it is not up to me to decide how in 25 years time a horse ends its life.

sywell

Visit site
No, but then I moved 3 times in two years. I do not bother updating and looking at my old ponies passport most people don't bother either.
under the new regulations it will be like a parking ticket and an automatic fine if the change is not completed in 30 days.

honetpot

Visit site
I do not know how this is enforceable. I have cows, you have to inform BCM every time they leave your holding whether you sell them or not, its done on line for free.
Cow, sheep, pigs have ear tags that can be read at distance , some of my horses have never left my fields, apart from moving house in 10years. Are we going to have the 'chip' police, if we do fair enough, but it has to apply to everyone and who is going to fund it?
I object to paying up to £40 to have my physical address amended, my email address has not changed in over 20years and is the most efficient way of contacting most people and costs only the data entry.

sywell

Visit site
I do not know how this is enforceable. I have cows, you have to inform BCM every time they leave your holding whether you sell them or not, its done on line for free.
Cow, sheep, pigs have ear tags that can be read at distance , some of my horses have never left my fields, apart from moving house in 10years. Are we going to have the 'chip' police, if we do fair enough, but it has to apply to everyone and who is going to fund it?
I object to paying up to £40 to have my physical address amended, my email address has not changed in over 20years and is the most efficient way of contacting most people and costs only the data entry.
Of course you are quite right in fact the DEFRA Minimum Operating Standards says that Trading Standards are responsible for enforcement but elsewhere it says due to the pressures of LAs advice only will be given. The problem for vets is they have to check the passport when giving drugs to see if it has been signed out and if it has been chipped,they also might check if it is registered to your address. The EU regulations say that the keeper is responsible but DEFRA insist the owner is responsible so this is a loophole in the regulation.

honetpot

Visit site
As far as I am aware they were supposed to be checked from 2000 when passports came out, how many vets check passports? My passport is always present when the vet arrives but very rarely looked at, I think twice since 2000, both for a GA.
Like I said its going to be interesting and breed societies need to sort themselves out some of the fees are extraordinary and make no allowance for people lifestyles where people move house more often. My dogs that are chipped by the same company that chipped most of my ponies charge very little for change of details, which can be done on line.

meleeka

Visit site
As far as I am aware they were supposed to be checked from 2000 when passports came out, how many vets check passports? My passport is always present when the vet arrives but very rarely looked at, I think twice since 2000, both for a GA.
Like I said its going to be interesting and breed societies need to sort themselves out some of the fees are extraordinary and make no allowance for people lifestyles where people move house more often. My dogs that are chipped by the same company that chipped most of my ponies charge very little for change of details, which can be done on line.

Mine has never been looked at, only to record vaccinations. My horse has a GA too and it wasn’t asked for.

I know of a horse that was given AB’s and Bute after registering with a new vet and no passport was available. The same person had another PTS and disposed of and that didn’t have a passport either.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Our vet has you sign their form to sign the horse out of the food chain. They have never asked for a passport, but then they have at least covered the food chain issue.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The problem for vets is they have to check the passport when giving drugs to see if it has been signed out and if it has been chipped,they also might check if it is registered to your address.

It's entirely possible for the chip to be registered to the correct address (as yes very easy to update with the company it is registered with) and not the passport though?

Frank certanly had plenty of treatment in the years before he was signed out, I wonder if vets tend to check new patients (he got signed out when we moved) and not ones that have been on the books for 15 odd years.