Stress horse moving yards

bella0987

Visit site
Hi I’m moving my horse to a yard where he can get more turnout. It’s not a very busy yard etc. he is very stressy and is currently struggling with ulcers I won’t move him until he is completely better but even if the move causes him some stress it’s better for him in the long run. Last time we moved yards I was a year ago and was a bit of a disaster as he had come from a small private to a massive completion yard and riding school he is very settled and chilled now though . So any tips on how to keep him calm and reduce the stress and hopefully not bring the ulcers back.

EllenJay

Visit site
You may find that going to a smaller quiet yard he will not stress at all. I moved my boy earlier this year from a competition yard to a smaller yard, and all his stress just disappeared.
Good luck

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
If he does stress, sometimes things like aromatherapy, mctimoney or bowen can help. Maybe all three - they really respond to therapy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Some yards just suit some horses better than others for no obvious reason. He doesn't sound particularly calm and settled if he has ulcers, tbh. We moved our 1st Appaloosa 6 weeks after we got her and she was like a different horse, even though the yards, on paper, were similar.

Trouper

Visit site
I wouldn't wait either. Get the move done and keep treating the ulcers. If you wait until they are settled, they may well flare again just thro' moving - even if he settles quickly into a quieter yard.
As others have said, if he has ulcers now he is not completely happy with his current lifestyle, however well he hides it.