stressed out sweaty mare

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
My lovely friendly chilled out horse has turned into an evil b***h this week. I havn't had her a long time (about five-six months), but this week she turned round and bit me, and has also started kicking. I don't know why she has started doing this, I wasn't even touching her at the time, just standing there. Someone on yard suggested she might be in season, but I'm sure I would have noticed that behaviour by now. she has never done that before and is just generally really stroppy, with people and other horses. strange as she's normally so chilled out.

Now I've heard about calmers - can someone reccommend one? how much do you use? also are there any drawbacks or circumstances in which you should not use one? The other thing is she is sweating a lot (after exercise - even like after five mins), and my instructor said she would benefit from salt in her feed. The lady in the feed place reccommended epsom salts as she would be loosing magnesium, and that magnesium would calm her also. I feel overwhelmed with information - can anyone help? I's sorry for random post which I'm sure is in wrong place.

Henmen

Visit site
We use NAF Magic, has completely turn our horses around, really is magic!!

TBH if it really is a sudden change is behaviour, and completely unsual, id probably have a word with the vet??

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think that with any suddent change of behaviour you need to look at the possible reasons first - before proceeding down a calmer route.

It could well be that she's come in to season - and is typically like this when in season.

I would monitor her closely to see what happens next week - and then if the same happens again next month. I would then probably chat to my vet if I wasn't happy.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
yeh think I will have a word with vet. magic - wow do they really work? I was going to get one early on anyway when she has her fizzy moments on hacks but then all this kicking and biting reminded me about possibly getting one. A trusted experienced friend said she might benefit from it.

JAK

Visit site
Agree with Henmen here - think I'd have a word with your vet before simply sticking her onto a calmer!
Such a sudden & drastic change in temperament, coupled with the onset of excessive sweating would suggest a physiologica/physicall problem somewhere!

Tempi

Visit site
id put her on stropy mare or something, not a calmer - but like everyone else said definately consult your vet and make sure you get a pyhsio out to her to give her a once over.

Visit site
My 4yr mare is stroppy when in season but is has become worse since new handsome 4yr old gelding arrived in next door field. Has a new horse arrived on yeard? We now have shaking of head and squealing out on hack. Hopefully when she realises it's a gelding she'll settle down - I tried giving her NAF Magic but she refused to eat feed with it in. Maybe try D&H Stroppy Mare? And keep note of seasons so you can tie in with behaviour - at least be something to show vet too.
Will get back to day job now.....!! Good luck.

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
I have a stroppy chesnut mare to! You don't always notice that they are in season - and if she is, they do say that the first and last seasons of the year are the worst - so perhaps this is her last one and that's why she's so crabby!!! We've put ours on Oestress (by Naf) it's supposed to help settle their hormones - we like it. Like you we've not had our mare long, since the end of May and we're still learning new things about her. Give the Oestress ago, alot of people I know use it. No side effects or drawbacks, just supposed to help them along during their monthly cycle!

My mare also sweats loads and we've had her on elctralytes - as she was drinking so much and dripping with sweat after being worked, 1 scoop in evening feed, does similar thing to salt, but tastes better!!!

Hope this helps! Good luck....

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Any chance there's something going on at your yard to wind her up... I recall you saying there are some pretty unpleasant people there. Would they stoop to doing things to upset her??
frown.gif

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
hope not
frown.gif
frown.gif
I don't think any of them (although unpleasant) would hurt her or anything. Thankyou everyone - I shall give her once over with vet and then give Oestress and electralytes a go
smile.gif