Stressy Lurcher

Carlosmum

Visit site
My 10 yr old beddy x whippet lurcher, has always been a bit of a stress head. She is not a great traveller, nor does she like storms, but last night she had me worried. Crying and whiffling in her crate, obviously a hot day, but next door were having yet another loud party in their field, and I think that's what was bothering her. Took her out for a wee, but she would keep squatting then looking at her tail, started to worry there was something seriously wrong as this is the way our terrier went when she had a bladder tumour. So i gave her a 'hallf' dose of metacalm and let her have the run of the house for the night. This morning she is fine, of course I will watch for signs of wee problems again but I think it was entirely due to stress. So now to get to my question... Is there something I can give her to help in these situations, a calmer that would actually work. Is it a trip to the vet when none of these symptoms are likely to present? One rather stressed owner missing a few hours of sleep!

skinnydipper

Visit site
My 10 yr old beddy x whippet lurcher, has always been a bit of a stress head. She is not a great traveller, nor does she like storms, but last night she had me worried. Crying and whiffling in her crate, obviously a hot day, but next door were having yet another loud party in their field, and I think that's what was bothering her. Took her out for a wee, but she would keep squatting then looking at her tail, started to worry there was something seriously wrong as this is the way our terrier went when she had a bladder tumour. So i gave her a 'hallf' dose of metacalm and let her have the run of the house for the night. This morning she is fine, of course I will watch for signs of wee problems again but I think it was entirely due to stress. So now to get to my question... Is there something I can give her to help in these situations, a calmer that would actually work. Is it a trip to the vet when none of these symptoms are likely to present? One rather stressed owner missing a few hours of sleep!

Onset of noise sensitivity can be associated with pain, especially in older dogs. It might be worth having the vet assess her, she may have painful joints due to arthritis.

Noise sensitivity left untreated can escalate and generalise to fear of other sounds.

fiwen30

Visit site
Pain was my first thought - hips, back, or legs - if she’s having trouble squatting. I’d be getting her checked over for any signs of arthritis, and maybe do a pain killer trial.