Stretching mouth out after removing bit

Moon Dancer

Visit site
My horse has started to do this strange thing with his mouth when I remove the bit. He stretches his mouth and tongue, he puts his neck out and opens his mouth, he isnt yawning and its quite hard to explain exactly what he is doing.
He moves his tongue around and its as if he is stretching his mouth and tongue and I am wondering if the bit is uncomfortable in his mouth. He has his teeth done regularly. He does wear a flash, though it isnt tight but without it is leans down and goes onto the forehand.
He is currently in a sprenger kk ultra bit and has been for approximately 4 years, so its not a new bit but this thing he is doing is new. He does it regardless of how long the bit is in his mouth.
I am thinking about changing his bit and was thinking about trying the new turtle top.
what does everyone else think?

JustKickOn

Visit site
The bit won't be making him on the forehand. They lean and go on the forehand when they're not working through from behind and pushing. Try without the flash, using your leg and core to sit him back and have impulsion coming through from the power in his bum, and see how he is then.

As a side, my girl rubs her cheeks and sort of yawns but doesn't - probably similar to yours- occasionally after having her bridle off.

L&M

Visit site
my son's pony does this but when he is being bridled - I see it as a bonus as makes it so easy for my son to put the bridle on!

SpringArising

Visit site
The bit won't be making him on the forehand. They lean and go on the forehand when they're not working through from behind and pushing. Try without the flash, using your leg and core to sit him back and have impulsion coming through from the power in his bum, and see how he is then.

Agree with this. A flash wouldn't stop him being on the forehand.

He might be stretching his jaw - he could be subtly grinding his teeth if his mouth is strapped shut.

Beausmate

Visit site
My horse used to do this. Then he started becoming difficult to bridle, I couldn't get him to open his mouth to get the bit out one day, so I called the vet out who diagnosed arthritis. Half a bute a day and he is back opening his mouth to take the bit and no more 'yawning'. I think he did it because he was stiff.

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Thanks i will speak to physio, he is currently having regular physio due to a sacroiliac injury.
I know the flash isnt stopping him from going on the forehand but its almost like a security for him, he is very tense through his neck and through his jaw which we are working on
I have tried to take the flash off several times and he just becomes too strong, he has had the flash on for about five years so its not a new thing. It also is not tight. He can open his mouth but not far enough to lean.