Strides for jumps for a 14hh pony?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I hope it is ok to post in here - I'm not competitive, but it is a schooling/training related thread :)

P is a 14hh New Forest pony & although I don't jump (well, I never used to although he loves it so much I might have to get some brave pants in the future...!), I do jump him online to keep his interest and help spice things up in the school for him.

This time last year, he could barely trot over a few poles on the ground, but he's really finding his balance and a little bit more skill and is happily popping over 2'6 or so uprights, teeny spreads and fillers.

I'd like to build up to a few doubles or grid works, but literally have no idea on striding for a 14hh pony. He rides a little bigger than he is, but you don't think he's a 16.2 warmblood either when your on him, if that makes sense?!

What kind of distance do I want to making two jumps? I'll build up slowly, with poles first, I'd just like to have some idea of where I'm putting poles for him to help him out. Otherwise there might be poles flying :D

tinap

Visit site
For our 14hh we did 3 of our strides for 1 pony stride then 2 for take off & landing, so a 1 stride double would be 7 of ours, a 2 stride 10 etc. That's a slightly than normal walking stride :) xx

Rosie'smum

Visit site
I can remember of the top of my head that a normal canter stride for a 14.2 pony is 11-12 ft I go slightly shorter than that for my 14hh pony. Sorry cant remember other distances. Problem with doing it off other peoples 'strides' is everyone has different leg lengths! I have tiny legs so would be more than normal legged people :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
When people learn to walk courses they learn to take either 3' or 1m strides so they know what the actual distance is, it's not any random stride. That's why top sj'ers do that funny stilted walk.

Reading back, are you doing all this in hand or loose schooling? I would be a bit careful doing lines/grids on the longe as if the horse hits your hand at all because you're a tiny bit slow to stay with him, that will affect straightness and stride length.