Strides for jumps for a 14hh pony?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
This is also in the competition forum, so apologies to the moderators if double posting isn't allowed - feel free to delete/move as applicable!

P is a 14hh New Forest pony & although I don't jump (well, I never used to although he loves it so much I might have to get some brave pants in the future...!), I do jump him online to keep his interest and help spice things up in the school for him.

This time last year, he could barely trot over a few poles on the ground, but he's really finding his balance and a little bit more skill and is happily popping over 2'6 or so uprights, teeny spreads and fillers.

I'd like to build up to a few doubles or grid works, but literally have no idea on striding for a 14hh pony. He rides a little bigger than he is, but you don't think he's a 16.2 warmblood either when your on him, if that makes sense?!

What kind of distance do I want to making two jumps? I'll build up slowly, with poles first, I'd just like to have some idea of where I'm putting poles for him to help him out. Otherwise there might be poles flying :D

p87

Visit site
This is something I've always struggled with as well, it's really confusing!

What I do with my 14.2 arab (waits for the army of people jumping down my throat!) is chuck the poles and jumps wherever I feel like it and make sure I'm the one that dictates the strides between them, not him.
Because of the way he has been ridden over fences previously he really rushes his fences and ends up cat-leaping over them and freaking himself out, and through trial and error I've discovered that if he feels like I am in control and not leaving it up to him he is a lot more confident and rarely puts a foot wrong. It works for us.

Obviously if you have an instructor on hand (I don't) and your boy is a bit younger and just learning, then this maybe isn't the approach you should take and should wait for others to comment... but saying that, to get my horse working properly again I've had to strip everything right back to the basics with him and in some aspects treat him like a youngster, and almost 10months later we are making really good progress!

Love

Visit site
Depends how many strides of canter you want to aim for in between the fences. I do 4 of my strides is 1 canter stride, plus one of mine at the start for him landing and one at the end for take off. So for a double with 1 canter stride for him I do 6 of my strides.

It is only rough and I do find I have to change it sometimes but it gives an idea :) hope it makes sense!

Meant to say I have a 14.2 connie and I normally have to lengthen the distances but start from this guide :)

Last edited:

Anna*

Visit site
This is something I've always struggled with as well, it's really confusing!

What I do with my 14.2 arab (waits for the army of people jumping down my throat!) is chuck the poles and jumps wherever I feel like it and make sure I'm the one that dictates the strides between them, not him.
Because of the way he has been ridden over fences previously he really rushes his fences and ends up cat-leaping over them and freaking himself out, and through trial and error I've discovered that if he feels like I am in control and not leaving it up to him he is a lot more confident and rarely puts a foot wrong. It works for us.

Obviously if you have an instructor on hand (I don't) and your boy is a bit younger and just learning, then this maybe isn't the approach you should take and should wait for others to comment... but saying that, to get my horse working properly again I've had to strip everything right back to the basics with him and in some aspects treat him like a youngster, and almost 10months later we are making really good progress!

^^^^You talk a lot of sense!

Rarely are strides perfect - especially for ponies with their little legs! Learning to collect and see a stride - using a placing pole at first if it helps - would be really useful. If you don't have an instructor, have a friend on the ground who can help you out by moving poles and things if you can so you haven't got to keep breaking your rhythm by getting off to shift stuff!

p87

Visit site
Morning, just had another thought - are you able to get someone to film you riding? It's improved my riding massively since I don't have an instructor, and it may help you see from the ground what your ponies striding is, as it can be difficult to work it out while you're riding!

And thanks Anna!