Strimming nettles?

Visit site
Is it ok to strim nettles and leave them on the ground with horses in the field? We have quite a lot of nettles in parts of one of the fields and I would like to tidy it up. I know they cant eat them when dry and they are good for them, just checking it's not like leaving grass cuttings in the field. ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Wily old pony dug them up himself and ate them once wilted. He learnt a lot of tricks in 30 years. He was an expert in mushing up thistles by pawing them and at pulling out electric fence posts by the base.
One of my Fell ponies used to love digging them out, I'd leave her a large area to start on each autumn. But she was on the hills till she was 7, do loved picking at the gorse too.

Widgeon

Visit site
Wily old pony dug them up himself and ate them once wilted. He learnt a lot of tricks in 30 years. He was an expert in mushing up thistles by pawing them and at pulling out electric fence posts by the base.

My Icelandic did this, he would paw them down then eat them. It was quite impressive.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My Icelandic did this, he would paw them down then eat them. It was quite impressive.
He was an Icelandic too. Must be used to making sure they don't miss any available calorie. ? he was very fond of nettle roots once he'd dug them up and it was impressive seeing him tackle those enormous spear thistles with gusto. I wish I'd filmed him in action.

Last edited:

zandp

Visit site
He's a relative of my older mare then, as she does the same with nettles and thistles and has stood in front of me wrapping one leg around a plastic fence post before knocking it over and calmly stepping over the electric tape to get to the middle.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
He's a relative of my older mare then, as she does the same with nettles and thistles and has stood in front of me wrapping one leg around a plastic fence post before knocking it over and calmly stepping over the electric tape to get to the middle.
Mime's method was to get hold of the bit you put your foot on to push it in with his teeth, and pull them out with that. The others would watch and wait while he did it and then go through