String halt

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Hello,

I know I posted about stringhalt before but I have a different question this time.

Has anyone noticed horses being more sensitive to having legs hosed if they have string halt?

I've a horse atm with string halt in both hinds but the left far more so and he's far more sensitive with the cold water on this leg?

Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Hello
String halt is quite rare so although I worked with horses, I've only seen a couple of cases. One did react to hosing, one didn't.

As the condition is thought to be caused by some kind of neuropathy, it dies make sense that anything that affects a nerve might affect the horse - and cold hosing would seem to fall into that category.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Are you sure that it’s stringhalt? I ask because my mare used to snatch up her hind legs, but since I trialled her on a course of elevated vit E as a suspect PSSM horse the snatching stopped. She still hates having a cold hose over her, though, I usually sponge her off with warm water instead. The cold water triggers a painful spasm response in her quarters, she needs to be kept warm.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Thank you.

Hmm I do think it is stringhalt it mainly happens being asked to back up or when turning.
He's fine in himself and happy with life.

Though will admit I don't really know alot about pssm

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Are you sure that it’s stringhalt? I ask because my mare used to snatch up her hind legs, but since I trialled her on a course of elevated vit E as a suspect PSSM horse the snatching stopped. She still hates having a cold hose over her, though, I usually sponge her off with warm water instead. The cold water triggers a painful spasm response in her quarters, she needs to be kept warm.

Vitamin E is a recommended treatment for stringhalt.

Shavings

Visit site
my first horse was a X racer who had string halt, we got him at age 18, he was a lovely boy only thing that really set his off, was farrier and is a fly landed on his hind legs, he lived until 30 a very happy life of hacking and light schooling.