Stringhalt - advice and suppliments

BorgRae

Visit site
So, I had the vet out on Friday and it turns out my boy has Stringhalt in his off side hind.

Are there any good suppliments that help with this?

Any advice on how to manage or what to feed greatly appreciated!! :D

Pidgeon

Visit site
My boy has it and I've had him on NAF D-Tox which has helped tremendously. Also taught him to rest his toe on the ground when picking out his hind feet, which makes life easier for both of us. Farrier finds him easier to shoe if he holds the hind leg under his body rather than the traditonal stance. Please ask if you want any more info.

Pidgeon

Visit site
No probs, and sorry I don't know. Oh forgot to say I up his dose from maintenance to loading when the grass has its flushes in spring and autumn as he seems to suffer worse then.

JillA

Visit site
I read somewhere that a link with EMS has been identified - maybe a high oil diet could help? I have a big rangy TB who has the condition and he was much better in the winter than he is now on grass, interestingly, which could fit with that link. I did try adding oil but he is a fussy feeder and wouldn't eat it.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Echo the above re links with EMS (more common in draught breeds - does your boy have as any in his breeding?). I believe you can get a muscle biopsy to test for EMS.

Main triggers i have found are cold weather, and stress - our big fella was affected in both hinds and could go from an almost normal gait to practically unable to walk in seconds if something worried him. Always worse in the Winter months and pretty non existent throughout the Summer. Regular exercise seems to help. Our vet advised to use a supplement with vitamin E as this has had good results, and also keep his weight down so as not to overload his joints. Does tend to be progressive and get worse with age unfortunately.

Obviously in this case you have a vet diagnosis, but i have seen other conditions mistakenly identified as stringhalt, e.g. shivers, fibrotic myopathy, and even mud fever when severe and causing an odd gait due to pain reaction.

I hope you manage to control your horses and keep him comfortable. If it's any consolation, we had many more good months than bad.

Last edited:

eatmyshorts

Visit site
My apologies, what I was referring to in my first sentence was EPSM, not EMS - always get the two mixed up! I suspect that was what JillA was remembering too, not EMS.

Last edited: