Stringhalt?

MerryPipkin

New User
Visit site
Does anyone else jump a horse with mild strighalt? I have a lovely young horse with it and we compete regularly at a 90 cm level, though he's well capable of more in time.
I'm just sick of getting stared at by people at shows, whispers etc that my horse is lame and I shouldn't be riding him. He loves getting out to shows and really enjoys jumping. The stringhalt is only noticeable when he's walking or in trot before he warms up. It makes me not want to go out even though we both love it so much. Doesn't do much for the confidence. Wish I could cure him but vet just said to crack on and there's not much you can do. He's full of life and can buck and hop like a flea lol (thankfully not under saddle)

Bayneddie

Visit site
My last horse had stringhalt and he's still competing at SJ and stressage and hunts regularly. Never had a dressage judge say he was lame, although they do note the stringhalt and mark the walk down (only gait it showed).

Agree with AA... ignore the ignorant

maggiesmum

Visit site
I have a mare with stringhalt and I've found tht feeding an EPSM diet improved it massively!
I keep her on low sugar, cereal free and add AlCar, L-Glutamine and extra vit e & selenium.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Some top class racehorses with stringhalt and it's never affected their racing flat/national hunt, so forget what you feel about what people say, if you really get pissed off just put a small placard on his tail saying stringhalt with a couple of big smilies when you warm him up. That would flummox the b+ggurs. :) :D

Cello_song

Visit site
I was very lucky as a teenager to have opportunities to compete a fab little horse that had stringhalt. We did showjumping, cross country, a couple of one day events and I even took him to pony club camp one year when my own horse was lame. We also had to put up with people staring and often had people making comments about his brushing boots must be too tight etc. we just used to smile, ignore and bash on! The horse loved going to parties and was always in the ribbons. So just ignore the ignorant comments and enjoy your horse! X

deb_l222

Visit site
I have no first hand experience of stringhalt but one of the best show jumping rounds I ever witnessed was a pony with it.

In the warm up area it was so obvious but when it got in the ring it was like bloomin Pegasus!! Yes, a lot of people had stuff to say beforehand but they were soon silenced when it left everything else standing.

Be proud and ignore them.