Strong horse

horselover3107

Visit site
Hi all. Ive been working with a little superstar mare. Lovely to school but does need more schooling. She’s always hacked and always been speedy. When I started working with her she would respond to my position and a half halt to transition from gallop to canter / canter to trot & trot to walk. Each time I hack all she wants to do is canter or trot. She won’t respond to my position so I’m having to use my reins more which I don’t like doing because she has a sensitive mouth and I don’t want to get to a point where I’m hanging off her mouth just to stop her. She has now started bucking and napping when I don’t let her trot or canter.

The only thing I can think of is working on transitions in our arena but whenever I do things like that in the arena it doesn’t stick apply to her on a hack. I really need some tips as I do want to hack her at times but I need to feel secure.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
How often is she hacked for and for how long?

I find horses like this normally get over themselves if you dedicate a few weeks to hacking only and literally go out for as many hours as it takes for them to relax.

If you only hack this horse for an hour each time then I think this will be a tricky one to overcome.

horselover3107

Visit site
How often is she hacked for and for how long?

I find horses like this normally get over themselves if you dedicate a few weeks to hacking only and literally go out for as many hours as it takes for them to relax.

If you only hack this horse for an hour each time then I think this will be a tricky one to overcome.

Thank you so much for the advice, my only difficulty is that I am a teenager and I only ride with supervision (incase something happens) so someone usually comes on foot or joins me on another horse. We have thought it could be beneficial for her to go out on her own so over an hour is a bit bad for whoever is walking with me. I have thought I could go out with a friend that rides a slower pony just to keep a steady pace

Snicklefritz

Visit site
I have a horse who is like this! He doesn’t look terribly big and strong, but you can feel it as soon as you swing a leg over.

what helps is getting him out of the ring a LOT! I agree with what the previous person said…they get over themselves with more time out on hacks

horselover3107

Visit site
I have a horse who is like this! He doesn’t look terribly big and strong, but you can feel it as soon as you swing a leg over.

what helps is getting him out of the ring a LOT! I agree with what the previous person said…they get over themselves with more time out on hacks
The issue is she needs schooling because I’m starting to jump her soon so she needs riding in the arena but yes I’ll try doing longer hacks alone with her. Thank you!

Skib

sites.google.com
When my old share became too eager and spookey, the YO (the owner of the mare) cut her food. Not saying this is right in your case.
But I do school as I hack. Lots of transitions, and where there is space, turns and backing up. The idea is to keep the horse thinking about you and not taking decisions for itself.

Winters100

Visit site
Good for you asking for advice rather than just using a stronger bit or hanging on to her.

My first question in this case would be is she working enough for the amount of food which she receives, and is she getting adequate daily turnout? And what age is she?

One of mine can be a bit strong if he is feeling a bit too good, and in this case I give him some fast paced work (very fast canter and some gallop) until he settles. I note that you are a teenager, so do not do this unless a knowledgeable adult who knows you and the horse deems it safe, but sometimes they just need to blow off some steam.

horselover3107

Visit site
Good for you asking for advice rather than just using a stronger bit or hanging on to her.

My first question in this case would be is she working enough for the amount of food which she receives, and is she getting adequate daily turnout? And what age is she?

One of mine can be a bit strong if he is feeling a bit too good, and in this case I give him some fast paced work (very fast canter and some gallop) until he settles. I note that you are a teenager, so do not do this unless a knowledgeable adult who knows you and the horse deems it safe, but sometimes they just need to blow off some steam.
So she’s 9, gets a mini feed once a week but she’s out all day everyday and one night. But when she’s in she’s on hay

horselover3107

Visit site
Lots of great ideas here. You say you're 'working with' does that mean she belongs to someone else - just wondering if her routine has changed or if you could discuss things with the previous rider maybe. Good luck.
So her owner doesn’t ride due to time, I’ve used her aids and it worked at first but it’s just seemed to get harder each time to the point where I don’t enjoy hacking

horselover3107

Visit site
When my old share became too eager and spookey, the YO (the owner of the mare) cut her food. Not saying this is right in your case.
But I do school as I hack. Lots of transitions, and where there is space, turns and backing up. The idea is to keep the horse thinking about you and not taking decisions for itself.
Shes
Have you tried lots of walk only hacks?
not had the opportunity to as I’ve been with other people the majority of the time but I will go out on my own a few times and see how she goes in walk and then slowly increase over a few weeks

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So she’s 9, gets a mini feed once a week but she’s out all day everyday and one night. But when she’s in she’s on hay

I don't understand why she gets a feed once a wekk but what is in this feed? That sounds like a peculiar routine. I certainly wouldn't want to start jumping this horse until I'd sorted out her brakes.

ETA, how much hay does she get when she is in overnight, is it enough for her?

Winters100

Visit site
One other thing, do you always / often hack on the same routes and trot / canter in the same places? You say she has started bucking when you don't allow her to trot or canter, maybe the answer is that she just knows the route too well? If this is the case try her on some other routes, and then go back to the original one, but keeping her in walk the whole way. Going forward vary where you trot and canter, and sometimes go back to walk at random times.

horselover3107

Visit site
One other thing, do you always / often hack on the same routes and trot / canter in the same places? You say she has started bucking when you don't allow her to trot or canter, maybe the answer is that she just knows the route too well? If this is the case try her on some other routes, and then go back to the original one, but keeping her in walk the whole way. Going forward vary where you trot and canter, and sometimes go back to walk at random times.

Thank you, will start doing this. There isnt many more routes i could do but i can think of some. At the moment its just like she sees an open field and wants to canter because she loves to. I might walk her inhand down routes that are typically cantered or get someone to inhand walk me when im on her down them too

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you, will start doing this. There isnt many more routes i could do but i can think of some. At the moment its just like she sees an open field and wants to canter because she loves to. I might walk her inhand down routes that are typically cantered or get someone to inhand walk me when im on her down them too

She has obviously been trained to trot/canter in the same places all the time, which imho is just asking for trouble. I can see it taking a long time to train her out of it.

Winters100

Visit site
horselover have you spoken with the owner about this? If not be sure to do so at the earliest opportunity. If one of mine had issues I would certainly want to know about it, and to give help in correcting the problem.

I would also work the pony hard before you next go for a hack, I don't mean gentle schooling in trot and canter, but work at fast canter, as fast as is safe in your arena and within your capabilities, and keep going until she is tired and you are having to push her on.

If she were mine, and if it were permitted to ride on the fields that she is strong in, then I would also let her canter when she wants to, but to circle, and to keep going beyond when she wants to stop. For this however you must first talk to an instructor or suitably experienced person who knows you and the pony, and you must have an adult with you. I think it goes without saying that whatever you do also needs to be discussed with the owner in advance.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
How often are you riding the horse because if the owner isn't riding at all could she just be too fresh from not being ridden everyday?

One of my horses is better having 1 day gap of no riding as any more and he can get silly and sharp.