Strong ID leaning on bit? What bit is best

robynqq555

Visit site
So I bought my big guy last month he’s a 17hh ID. He was originally on a snaffle ridden by a 6.2ft guy I’m only 5’3. Recently started grabbing the bit, crossing his jaw and just unable to bring him back at all in the school. I changed him onto a copper roller with a grackle. He responds a bit better but I still feel he’s leaning and a bit stronge for me and because his size it’s in his favour. Was out hacking him and when in canter with other horses he’s not responding at all until the other horse stops, even holding him back is a struggle. He has quite a high head carriage. I’m wondering if anyone can help suggest a bit? I have been researching a lot and was wondering if a Waterford gag would help but some people say they’re harsh in the wrong hands? My old horse had a very sensitive month so I know I’m not too harsh on the mouth.
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...id-leaning-on-bit.691863/#JXmPRtCIKT673981.99

Gerilew

Visit site
Hi I had the same problem big ID me only 5'2 I currently ride him in a myler port gag with a grakle but also have had him in a waterford

Annagain

Visit site
You are describing my boy, even down to the having been ridden my a man before me (I'm a bit bigger than you though). It took me 18 months to sort his bitting out. He would complain in no uncertain terms if he didn't like a bit. We settled on 3 in the end:
- a myler mullen mouth hanging cheek snaffle for flat work - ironically one of the mildest around but the only dressage legal bit he would settle in.
- a hanging cheek waterford for hacking
- a waterford gag for exciting stuff - jumping, fun rides, beach rides etc.

He was also happy in a pelham but for exciting stuff when he could lose his mind a bit, it wasn't enough and obviously it wasn't dressage legal. He hated anything with a joint - either single jointed or a lozenge.

A Micklem bridle also helps him - I always thought they were a gimmick but it made a big difference to him.

The best thing I did though was lots and lots of lessons and learn to use my seat and body for stopping him. The bits just gave me the opportunity to learn to ride him properly (I went from a 14hh Sec D to him!) Now I barely use my reins to stop and because I'm not fighting him, when I do use them, he can tell the difference and listens.

We don't use the hanging cheek waterford any more as he's fine in the mullen mouth for ordinary hacking. He still needs the gag now and again as he can get VERY excited in certain situations and that's the only thing that works on him when his mind goes on strike and his adrenalin takes over! It also gives me the confidence that I can stop so I don't hang onto him which is a big part of it . Or it was, he's more or less retired now and just goes for a walk round the block once a week to keep him occupied.

ETA - yes, a waterford can be harsh but my boy seems to really like it. He has told me very clearly in the past when he hasn't liked a bit but from the moment he was in the waterford he was happy.

Last edited:

GTRJazz

Visit site
I use a three ring Gag with french link on my ID he used to lean on the snaffle and try to take off to get out of schooling. The main thing is to give with your hands as soon as the horse starts to become strong and keep a leg on serpentine's and figures of eight are good practice so he never knows what is going to be asked of him next. I now work him with a very light contact

Bojingles

Visit site
You might have to do a bit of experimenting with the bit bank. My heavily-leaning cob leaned on Waterfords, and hated the poll action of gags. After extensive research I tried a Swales Pelham which is a bit softer as it isn't fixed, and she went like a dream in it, in a really light contact.

Melody Grey

Visit site
In the school, I wouldn’t necessarily be looking at a different bit just yet but would be schooling with ‘riding him up’ out of leaning and carrying himself, and slowing him through your seat (apologies if that’s obvious and you already tried it?) If he’s new to you, you might be asking him to work in a different way and he’s not able to carry himself just yet?

I think fast work out and about is different though, so would perhaps bit up for that if it’s just too exciting?