Strong pulse

Connemara24

Visit site
He had laminitis over a year ago when he was very overweight, tested negative for cushings. He could do with losing a bit of weight but the vet isn't too worried about it. For quite a while now his pulse gets very strong when he is in during the day (large hard standing with access to stable) then I put him out overnight and I can't find the pulse in morning/ very faint. Bare field adlib soaked hay as did have ulcers. Why could this be because if he was laminitic his pulse would surely go down during day and up at night. I'm just wondering what you think it could be, is he laminitic? He is not lame.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
He had laminitis over a year ago when he was very overweight, tested negative for cushings. He could do with losing a bit of weight but the vet isn't too worried about it. For quite a while now his pulse gets very strong when he is in during the day (large hard standing with access to stable) then I put him out overnight and I can't find the pulse in morning/ very faint. Bare field adlib soaked hay as did have ulcers. Why could this be because if he was laminitic his pulse would surely go down during day and up at night. I'm just wondering what you think it could be, is he laminitic? He is not lame.
Sounds like it could be , can he stand on mats to ease the hard standing?

Connemara24

Visit site
Yes he has mats and woodpellets in his stable. I put him out last night with a pulse and this morning I can't find the pulse. Has this been know before? Thanks you for the reply.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Yes he has mats and woodpellets in his stable. I put him out last night with a pulse and this morning I can't find the pulse. Has this been know before? Thanks you for the reply.
Yes, he could have just had bruising. I would say keep an eye over it for the next few days and keep checking for heat and a pulse. If he seems lame then maybe call the vet ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
With a previous laminitic, especially one that's still overweight, I would always be wary of being able to find a pulse. When he's standing in, the lack of movement is allowing the blood to pool in his feet and creating the back pressure that's causing the pulse. When he moves the blood is flowing better back out of the foot. I would want him checked with some hoof testers for sole sensitivity, treat as laminitis if any is found, and meanwhile be extremely vigilant.

scats

Visit site
One of mine had laminitis last year and she was much more sore and had visible pulses when she was in her stable, yet walked almost sound and had no pulses when she’d been moving. No sensitivity to hoof testers, no heat in feet. We actually turned her out in a small paddock (with vet go ahead) for her recovery.
I’d hazard a guess that your horse is suffering from Low grade lami and I’d be very careful it doesn’t tip over, particularly if he’s had it before.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Feeling your angst: I've had to deal with sub-clinical laminitis and you're always on the hop, worrying about it.

Is yours in work at all OP?? Or is it a situation of cannot be ridden. Coz somehow you need to get that weight off. Mine isn't lammi currently, but I know she could easily go there as she's a good doer AND hasn't done a lot - she's had a cough since Xmas off & on and recently vet scoped and diagnosed Equine Asthma. Currently building her fitness up with just walking; not slopping along, a good swinging forward walk so she really WORKS. When she's ready we'll up the exercise but for now this is what we're doing. Plus ground is sooh darned hard I'm not gonna risk concussion laminitis right now, not worth it. So fast-walking it is until the weather changes.

Are you able to go onto a Track system? Our vet recommended this as Strip-grazing alone just wasn't sufficient to manage my gal's weight. Strip makes them work harder and they'll do far more walking, also easier to control the grass intake; mine has ad-lib soaked hay fed at various feed stations and multi-level.

Good luck with yours. Its a nightmare.

Connemara24

Visit site
With a previous laminitic, especially one that's still overweight, I would always be wary of being able to find a pulse. When he's standing in, the lack of movement is allowing the blood to pool in his feet and creating the back pressure that's causing the pulse. When he moves the blood is flowing better back out of the foot. I would want him checked with some hoof testers for sole sensitivity, treat as laminitis if any is found, and meanwhile be extremely vigilant.
Thank you that's very helpful. I'll check with the hoof testers. I check his pulse 2 times daily.

Connemara24

Visit site
One of mine had laminitis last year and she was much more sore and had visible pulses when she was in her stable, yet walked almost sound and had no pulses when she’d been moving. No sensitivity to hoof testers, no heat in feet. We actually turned her out in a small paddock (with vet go ahead) for her recovery.
I’d hazard a guess that your horse is suffering from Low grade lami and I’d be very careful it doesn’t tip over, particularly if he’s had it before.
That's very interesting thanks. Yes I hope he doesn't tip over to full blown laminitis, I'm being extremely careful.

Connemara24

Visit site
Feeling your angst: I've had to deal with sub-clinical laminitis and you're always on the hop, worrying about it.

Is yours in work at all OP?? Or is it a situation of cannot be ridden. Coz somehow you need to get that weight off. Mine isn't lammi currently, but I know she could easily go there as she's a good doer AND hasn't done a lot - she's had a cough since Xmas off & on and recently vet scoped and diagnosed Equine Asthma. Currently building her fitness up with just walking; not slopping along, a good swinging forward walk so she really WORKS. When she's ready we'll up the exercise but for now this is what we're doing. Plus ground is sooh darned hard I'm not gonna risk concussion laminitis right now, not worth it. So fast-walking it is until the weather changes.

Are you able to go onto a Track system? Our vet recommended this as Strip-grazing alone just wasn't sufficient to manage my gal's weight. Strip makes them work harder and they'll do far more walking, also easier to control the grass intake; mine has ad-lib soaked hay fed at various feed stations and multi-level.

Good luck with yours. Its a nightmare.

Yes it is a constant worry. He has just been officially retired but hasn't been ridden for ages because of ulcers..he is 25 this year. He was retired because of very mild Hindlimb lameness, and a bit off in all 4 legs but vet said he is fine as a pet. He is in a very small bare field with 2 large buckets of hay far apart so he has to keep moving. I really want to make a track, but at the moment the grass in the rest of the field is waist high so too much for him.
Thank you good luck with yours too!

Connemara24

Visit site
This evening his pulse is very strong, and i could feel his pulse this morning just quite faint. Would you still put him out? Thanks

Connemara24

Visit site
I thought I should keep him in you have just confirmed it so thank you! Unfortunately I can't minimise his hay as he has had ulcers, but its soaked for 12hrs. He is a bit overweight you can feel his ribs easily, the vets exact words were, he could do with losing a few pounds but he is quite a good weight. Thanks

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Ok thanks. I'll test him again soon.

I would keep him off the grass and see if they go down over the next few days then you will know if it is the grass

My cushings horse went slightly footy last year and had strong pulses I kept him off grass for 5 days he was completely sound pulses normal then reintroduced slowly onto grass, I had him tested for cushings again and was borderline but because he didn't shed his winter coat properly the vet has said put him on half a prascend.

Not had any problems since although all my grass is burnt and dead as not had rain for weeks but his been out as normal since that episode.

Connemara24

Visit site
I've just tried with the hoof testers as didn't have any. He doesn't respond at all. So does that mean he doesn't have the start of laminitis. Thanks

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've just tried with the hoof testers as didn't have any. He doesn't respond at all. So does that mean he doesn't have the start of laminitis. Thanks

Not necessarily but it's a good sign. I'd have a chat with thy vet about what else could be causing the pulses, are they still going away at night when it's cooler, or is it only if he's turned out?

Connemara24

Visit site
Okay thats good. I will give them a ring keep meaning too. When he is in he still has a pulse in the morning, but when turned out it goes. Thanks

maya2008

Visit site
Polly had rotation last year but never once reacted to hoof testers. I’d still be cautious.

That, exactly. Our Shetland had no reaction to hoof testers and was only lame on stones and concrete. No rocking back or anything dramatic. She had rotation in both front hooves on x-ray. Nearly corrected now after box rest and farrier attention.

Connemara24

Visit site
Okay thank you everyone. His pulse is still strong this evening, he has been in for 6 nights now would you expect it to of gone down by now. The farrier came yesterday, couldn't see anything obvious. His only symptom is a strong pulse. No heat in hooves, not lame on any ground. He is fat. He Lost a front shoe a couple weeks ago and bruised his hoof and went lame like he does when he loses a shoe as he has thin soles. The strong pulse is only in his 2 front hooves. Should have mentioned early. Thanks everyone

Connemara24

Visit site
I'm thinking about putting him out late this evening in a bare paddock with soaked hay, and seeing what he is like tomorrow morning ill bring him I'm extra early like 6ish, or am I being stupid? As being in does him no good... thanks