Struggling to put condition on a cob youngster

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Hi there, I am at a bit of a loss on this one. I bought a 2 year old (only just turned 2 as a very late foal!) coloured cob filly a couple of months ago. When I got her she was in SH*T condition. She is now rugged up - with adequate grazing, plenty of hay , she is fed on stud nuts and topline mix. Whilst she has gained some weight she is still quite poor. I have wormed her by the way. I put her on stud nuts to as she was quite backward and I dont think shes had enough goodness - so whilst she is not getting too much I just wanted her on good stuff. The topline mix is to try and put on some condition without over doing a stud ration. What would you try?

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I would get a worm count done regardless, as one worming won't have been enough to get everything.
I would put her on topspec balancer or pink powders which will ensure she is making the best use of the food.
When daughter worked at a local stud we were stunned quite how much feed those horses got.
None of the weigh per horse etc, just a good half bucket full of barley/sugar beet/supplemented by minerals. The horses all looked amazing and since we stopped weighing our feed so prescisely and actually fed more our own horses have never looked back. The pink powder is worth a try, it made a big difference to several of ours.
We tend to feed a Hilight coarse mix mostly due to cost, speedi beet, some alfa A and supplements. ou horses look great on this and the latest purchase is gaining weight steadily without being stupid.
Check your horse isn't still harbourin any worms, up the feed a bit and try pink powders. Some oil may benefit too, we use codlivine.

KatB

Visit site
Cobs can take a long time to look cobby! I had loads of probs keeping weight on my old cobby, and tried everything to no effect. However, he hit 7 and suddenly turned into a proper cob!!
shocked.gif
So just keep a high fibre diet, make sure you are feeding her adequate amounts of mix/nuts, perhaps feed something like Alpha A and a balancer so that you know she is getting everything? If she had worms, something with a pre/probiotic may help her digest things better too.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Not sure if it will help but we have our 4 year old Cob on Alpha A oil and even if I do say so myself I think he looks very well (without being too fat!). Worth a try?

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Thanks very much for all your help. Her legs look cobby and thats about it bless her! Its just taking her a long time to pink up. I will give the pink powders, Alfa A and Oil a go - admittedly they're all bound to help - hopefully no going back! It has taken her a while to get an appetite - when we got her she really didn't know what a bucket was - I dont think she knew what a hard feed was! Thanks guys - you've been a brilliant help.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
You'll probably find it will take six months or more to get your horse to a decent weight. They'll first put weight on the stomach, then the quarters, finally the neck and it takes ages! This is once you have any worm problems sorted out; it's no good pumping feed into them if the worms are taking it all!

In the past I have used Bailey's Number One with sugar beet and a spot of bran with some chaff. I've also used Barley Rings which are made into a mash and the horses love it; never had one that won't eat them. Micronised barley is good too with sugar beet and chaff. At that time I would use probably the only supplement about, Equivite, to balance it all but now I would use Blue Chip, I've found that brilliant, it gives their insides everything they need and it helps to keep them calm too, always a bonus when you're trying to get weight on along with a soaked oat diet, it really seems to work. It's better to feed three or four feeds a day if possible rather than two big feeds. I would also give them as much nice meadow hay as they will eat along with regular daily turnout.

As I say, it will take a long time and it could be trial and error which feeds suit your horse but it will come, just be patient and keep taking photo's every month, you'd be surprised how you'll suddenly think she doesn't look as bad as before!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't worry too much if she is a little underweight - assuming her ribs and hips are not sticking through.

My gypsy cob is now 21/2 and is starting to fill out - at 2 he was not that cobby looking and I have kept him on the lighter side for his joints plus I hate fat youngsters.

As long as she has a nice glossy coat and is full of life, then she is fine and will slowly increase her weight and start to look cobby.

I now feed mine on the Simple Feeds system diet of Luciestalks and Greengold (alfa) plus their total eclipse supplement and a little extra linseed, black sunflower seeds and have just started adding a little speedibeet and he is looking really good.

Last year I fed him alfa a lite, black sunflower seeds, speedibeet and high fibre cubes, plus equimins youngstock supplement - all low sugar and high fibre which is best for young native/cob types. My vet was very pleased with his condition and weight.

He always has hay at all times and last summer was on short non fertalized grazing to avoid him piling on the pounds.