Struggling with carrot stretches/right rein contact.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Sooo...

3 weeks later, hock injections, SI injections and rehab under way.. horse is still sound.

She seems to struggle when asking for a contact on the right rein, she will break into canter, generally fight etc.. she can be worked through it, gentle persistence and she will then work beautifully on both reins.

Left rein, she floats.

I noticed she seems to struggle to do the carrot stretches on the same side, again, will do it with persistence. Left side, a doddle.

Pessoa- will work on right rein but not as good as left.

X-rays now booked for next week (sigh!).

But has anyone experience of this?

Boulty

Visit site
May be worth getting a physio out with vet permission. If there’s previous lameness issues then could be some tension & muscle soreness still from that which if released might improve things & make working properly easier for her.

oldie48

Visit site
yes, my previous horse used to get quite tight to the right, most horses are a bit one sided, some more than others but he didn't have any of the issues that your horse has had Hopefully the x rays won't show anything but if it were my horse I'd get my physio out, obviously with vet being kept in the loop.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Physios been out- as per vet referral and she said my mare is tight but nothing that she feels is a long term issue.

My vet has suggested xraying her neck now.. I’m torn between this being a notmal
Issue with her learning not to be on he forehand or whether it’s more in-depth, her teeth are up to date but im
Going to ask them to double check before we go down more X-rays.

I don’t mind xrays but my insurance is going to pretty much write her off before long.