Struggling with new pony

Clipclop85

Visit site
I'm almost scared to post this being a novice, please be kind.

I've bought a cob type pony for myself (and ideally my kids) we've only had him 5 days and he is proving to be more than we can handle.

I viewed him twice he was so chilled out and friendly. He was amazing when I rode him and he passed his vetting.

He seems very unsettled and much more energised now I've got him home which is understandable but he nearly pulled me over numerous times today whilst I was leading him trying to get to grass or bushes or anything he can eat. I did manage to regain control though.

He has also barged out of his stable twice pushing me and my mum completely out of the way, injuring mum's hand. He then ran off and a number of people had to try and grab him.

He was sold as a happy hacker who would hack out alone but I couldn't get him past the end of the drive.

He does have really good qualities too, he's totally bombproof and will stand to be groomed, etc.

To be honest, I'm getting scared of him and he knows it I think. I know I need to let him settle in. He wasn't like this with me when I went to see him. I feel gutted. He is not my first horse however I am a novice. I have been riding and around horses for decades, I haven't owned my own for 20 years.

He's 12 years old and I purchased him privately through a sales livery yard. I don't know what to do. To be totally honest my confidence is completely shattered after just 5 days.

I'm guessing I'm posting here to find out what my options could be. I've already made contact with an instructor.

Thanks

Arzada

Visit site
Is he stabled all the time? If he's turned out how long for and is it with other horses? Also he sounds very hungry.

mini_b

Visit site
If he was an angel at 2x viewing and there’s nothing dodgy about the folk you bought him off and nothing dodgy about him, he sounds like he’s testing the boundaries as he’s settling in. See what he can get away with.

Some horses turn into a neurotic mess after a move, some turn into naughty teenagers.

confidence is a very fragile thing, get an instructor out to help show you how to sort him out on the ground.
You don’t need to batter a horse, but some need do need firm handling otherwise if you give an inch they will take a mile!

horses thrive on routine, once he knows what to “expect” it will settle.
think positively because it’s a solvable problem :)

Clipclop85

Visit site
Where are you based, OP? I'm sure people here can recommend a good instructor who can also cover groundwork - some skillful handling on the ground can change everything for your relationship with this horse, and that will also translate to the ridden.
West midlands/Staffordshire border

Thank you everyone for the positive comments

gallopingby

Visit site
He’s a naughty cob testing you out! Sadly that’s what a lot of cobs and natives try, he will be thinking about his food first and foremost anything else will be incidental. I expect yoI can tie him up with a hay net and he’ll behave perfectly. You need time to bond - maybe spend time grooming him. Bring him in using a bridle for now, you don’t need a noseband on it. If you can find a sympathetic instructor to help you’ll soon overcome the problems - if you think you’re not going to win a ‘battle’ with him best not to start.

stangs

Visit site
a) Not surprising that he refused to hack out alone. He doesn't know who you are, he doesn't know where he is: his confidence will be at a low too. Hacking out will come with time. Some in hand walks might be a good way to start.

b) To prevent a horse from dragging you to the grass, hold him by the headcollar. That way you can give 'corrections' (of course, keep them as light as you can) as soon as he starts thinking about the grass, as you'll be able to feel his head start to move. You can also use a bridle, just make sure you're not hanging onto the bit.

c) It's good that you've contacted an instructor. For obvious reasons, horses do tend to change their behaviour after changing yards - an instructor, or even any more experienced horsey people on your yard can help make the transition smoother for you and him.

d) You don't need to post any answer on here, but what is it about him that scares you? What I find helpful, whenever I face a crisis of confidence with horses, is figuring out: 1) exactly what I'm scared of, 2) what is causing the behaviour that I'm afraid of, and how can I 3) reduce its occurrence. Horses are mostly not unpredictable. In this case, barging out of a stable is very manageable with quick movements in and out. Equally well, why do you need to have him in a stable? Could you not just leave him out in the field, and tie him up outside to groom/tack up?

e) Pet-peeve based off a comment above. He's not testing you, he's not using your fear to get what he wants. He's nervous and unsure too.

gallopingby

Visit site
stangs - interesting comments, some helpful others less so, and you‘ve obviously had many years experience working with cobs - l‘m not convinced that every cob who ‘sets’ his neck and takes a dive for the nearest clump of grass is nervous and unsure. It’s also impossible to lightly hold the head collar of a bolshy or (nervous animal) who is determined to get to the grass. He’s 12 years old and will have been in all sorts of different situations and have learnt to react as he thinks fit. Maybe some ‘unlearning’ to do along the way.

Clipclop85

Visit site
a) Not surprising that he refused to hack out alone. He doesn't know who you are, he doesn't know where he is: his confidence will be at a low too. Hacking out will come with time. Some in hand walks might be a good way to start.

b) To prevent a horse from dragging you to the grass, hold him by the headcollar. That way you can give 'corrections' (of course, keep them as light as you can) as soon as he starts thinking about the grass, as you'll be able to feel his head start to move. You can also use a bridle, just make sure you're not hanging onto the bit.

c) It's good that you've contacted an instructor. For obvious reasons, horses do tend to change their behaviour after changing yards - an instructor, or even any more experienced horsey people on your yard can help make the transition smoother for you and him.

d) You don't need to post any answer on here, but what is it about him that scares you? What I find helpful, whenever I face a crisis of confidence with horses, is figuring out: 1) exactly what I'm scared of, 2) what is causing the behaviour that I'm afraid of, and how can I 3) reduce its occurrence. Horses are mostly not unpredictable. In this case, barging out of a stable is very manageable with quick movements in and out. Equally well, why do you need to have him in a stable? Could you not just leave him out in the field, and tie him up outside to groom/tack up?

e) Pet-peeve based off a comment above. He's not testing you, he's not using your fear to get what he wants. He's nervous and unsure too.

Hi, I agree with everything you've said.
A) I did jump off and lead him a short distance up the road and back, so I'm glad u said that its reassuring I did the right thing.
B) I also did this today ... I'm not at the point yet where I need to put on a bridle... I hope.
C) Thank you
D)I don't know exactly what the fear is. I shouldn't be scared of him he's not very big and he's not a nasty pony. But I feel like I am, I'm worried one of both of us will get hurt. I also have a long standing fear of bolting after an incident when I was younger. I have decided to only tie him up outside as the stable barging is not a battle I'm ready to face at this point.
E) I agree he is nervous and unsure but I do feel he is taking the piss out of me ... honestly u should have seen him this afternoon while I was trying to get him back into the field. He was pulling me all over the place. A car came past us so foolishly I let him graze while I waited for it to pass and that was it then he was off after I'd given him an inch.

Fjord

Visit site
It does sound like he could be taking the mickey with regard to the pulling for grass. The main thing is to stay safe, so please wear gloves if you risk getting rope burns. A good instructor will show you how to use body language to make you appear confident and in charge, even if you're not. Good luck, you will get there.

Equi

Visit site
Cobs for all their bolshy bruiser tendencies tend to be quite insecure. They need a leader and need someone to be that “I’ve got this” person. My advice to you is to start doing some ground work with him in the arena where there are less distractions (if there is a hedge or grass banks walk along the centre line) start simple just walking and stopping, i always get them into the habit of taking a step back as soon as I’ve asked for halt, so they are not thinking of going forward again. When he has that keep doing Lots of walking, stopping and backing up during his turnout and bring in routine, when he is with you he is on the clock so to speak so make him constantly be thinking and working for you. When he’s pulling or grabbing give him a sharp tug with the rope this is just being rude.

he needs time to settle yes but also time to realise you’re the one in control not him. Lunge him in the arena if you don’t feel confident to ride just yet, built up energy won’t help and it will also get him listening to you a little more.

pick the words you want to use for him and stick to them. He will learn the words and tone very quickly.

good luck, and don’t despair many many people get this shock right after getting a new horse and many times it’s because they’ve gone a bit gooey with them and forgot to put their foot down from the start and say oi I’m paying the bills mate.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Just a quick thought. Probably don't hold the headcollar but use a bridle. I dislocated 3 fingers many years ago holding our old 14.2 by a headcollar. She shook her head hard and my fingers were hooked in the headcollar. I could not move them in time and wow were they painful. The joints are stiff and swollen to this day.
My thought too. I've only narrowly escaped that fate in the past.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Great advice from everyone here. My horse is always like this if we move. Rudeness and bolshy behaviour is actually his anxiety. I’d lead in a bridle (so he doesn’t get in a habit of getting away from you) with gloves and a schooling whip (to poke him if he gets too close or walks over you), that way you’ve got control and it saves your arms getting yanked. As others have said, get a good instructor who does groundwork to help you. Check their references though because some folks can be heavy handed and make your horse worse (speaking as someone who had a bad experience)

Cob Life

Visit site
I second what everyone else has said, my cobs first instinct if he’s nervous is to get jiggy and bolshy.

If he tries to barge off I’ve found I can keep hold of him by pushing my elbow into him to turn his head towards me and spin him, I know if he gets away from me it makes him worse cause the then thinks he’s “alone” and panics. In situations I know he might get scared I lead in a bridle but twist the reins through the throat lash so if he runs he doesn’t get his feet caught.

He needs calm, quiet, confident handling, any shouting or flapping makes him worse.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I bought Rigs a Monty Roberts controller halter. He is still always led in that, or with a muzzle on if going to grass. I don't consider this a last resort, he is EMS and on a restricted diet so it seems fair that he will look for any opportunity to eat. With the MR halter or muzzle on, he doesn't even try to pull to grass. You can still tie them up with the back ring. Now he knows to behave, I usually keep the rope clipped to the tie up ring anyway but, at first, it was on the front rope all of the time or he was headstrong.

I also did a stack of training re stop/go in hand with a light touch. Also long reining etc. He knows perfectly well how to behave but, as per my last post, if it is first thing in the morning and he is hungry, he still can be headstrong.

As he was re-habbing, I did loads of walking on the roads in hand. This was always in a bridle with chain through the bit rings. Again, I didn't see this as a last resort or a failure, it was simply safer and easier for all concerned, including Rigsby.

I would not put your fingers in the halter, too much scope for injury.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Hi, I agree with everything you've said.
A) I did jump off and lead him a short distance up the road and back, so I'm glad u said that its reassuring I did the right thing.
B) I also did this today ... I'm not at the point yet where I need to put on a bridle... I hope.
C) Thank you
D)I don't know exactly what the fear is. I shouldn't be scared of him he's not very big and he's not a nasty pony. But I feel like I am, I'm worried one of both of us will get hurt. I also have a long standing fear of bolting after an incident when I was younger. I have decided to only tie him up outside as the stable barging is not a battle I'm ready to face at this point.
E) I agree he is nervous and unsure but I do feel he is taking the piss out of me ... honestly u should have seen him this afternoon while I was trying to get him back into the field. He was pulling me all over the place. A car came past us so foolishly I let him graze while I waited for it to pass and that was it then he was off after I'd given him an inch.

I’m not sure why you don’t think you need to put on a bridle yet. From your description of his behaviour and how it has made you feel, you absolutely need to put on a bridle! It will give you more control and therefore more confidence, which will give him confidence. His whole world has changed and he’s unsettled and insecure. He needs leadership and boundaries. You need to think carefully about your interactions with him and set him up for success so the interactions are positive and then you can start getting to know and trust each other. You need to make it easy for him to do the right thing. Cobs can sometimes be bargey and rude and throw their weight around, often in response to stress and fear. For big chunky animals they can be extremely sensitive.

In time you will hopefully see glimpses of the chilled horse you went to view, but those that settle straight into a new home with a fairly inexperienced owner with no issues at all are rare. Do you have anyone you can hack with until he has settled in?

Winters100

Visit site
Poor you. What a stressful situation.

I don't know much about cobs, but from a general horse point of view I would say firstly don't panic. It is early days and you have plenty of time to put things right. You are not the first, and certainly will not be the last person to struggle with teething problems. As others have said I would not consider popping a bridle on as a last resort, in fact it will probably be much more effective as a first resort to teach him that you are leading him, not the other way around.

Regarding hacking I would try to make it easy. Start by going out with another horse, then when he knows the area go with a friend on foot or on a bicycle. After some time ask your friend to keep more distance, and eventually you will probably find that he does indeed hack alone.

Great that you have contacted an instructor, I am sure that will help no end. In the meantime is he at a yard? Are there any sympathetic experienced owners there who might help you out a bit with handling him? Most people don't mind being asked for advice, and will often jump in and show you if they know that you are open to accept help. Remember that when they see you struggling and say nothing it is probably not because they won't help, it is just because they do not want to appear to be bossy.

It is only 5 days, and beyond being a bit bolshy and not wanting to hack alone in a strange place it does not sound as if he has committed any real crimes, more misdemeanors. I am sure that with some help you will soon be telling us how wonderful he is.

TillyF

Visit site
Hi,
I’m in a similar situation, new cob, very nervous me and her! Don’t worry things do get better, but slowly.
I have an instructor helping me and going back to basics. As someone above said, lead her but a few step forwards then make her walk back a step or 2. This means you have controls and anytime she tries to go for grass, make her walk back. She will then focus on what you’re asking, not the grass (hopefully!) It it takes half an hour to walk down the road, that’s okay, according to my instructor, esp whilst settling in. I’m not even riding mine yet!
Good luck, keep at it. You are in control.