Stubben Equisoft or other anatomical short girths?

kdoug

Visit site
Looking for a short girth, going round in circles trying to find the best design! Really like the concept of the Stubben Equisoft, with elastic in the middle to allow expansion of the ribcage, but not sure on the open design of the elastic rings for jumping? I use my jump saddle for all disciplines at the moment so need a multitasking girth too! Has anyone used this to jump in successfully? Other recommendations are welcome, not overly keen on Prolites as they seem quite stiff but open to opinons? Thank you.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I sold my Equisoft and now use a Prolite...

Loved the Equisoft as they definitely had lots of shoulder movement in it, but as it was all elasticated it wasn't stable enough for a rather round horse lol. The prolite I've not found stiff and I'm lucky that I've had no rubbing on either horse (it is a narrow gauge though), I use it for everything on Skylla. Debating splurging on either a second so they both can have one each or maybe the leather version...

My main thing is it mustn't be elasticated at the girth straps and suit a forward girth groove, so following with interest if anyone recommends anything else!

kdoug

Visit site
I sold my Equisoft and now use a Prolite...

Loved the Equisoft as they definitely had lots of shoulder movement in it, but as it was all elasticated it wasn't stable enough for a rather round horse lol. The prolite I've not found stiff and I'm lucky that I've had no rubbing on either horse (it is a narrow gauge though), I use it for everything on Skylla. Debating splurging on either a second so they both can have one each or maybe the leather version...

My main thing is it mustn't be elasticated at the girth straps and suit a forward girth groove, so following with interest if anyone recommends anything else!

Did you jump in the equisoft? Okay, that's interesting as I've heard quite a few have had rubs from the Prolite, and with very thin TB skin, wasn't very keen to risk it. Thanks

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Did you jump in the equisoft? Okay, that's interesting as I've heard quite a few have had rubs from the Prolite, and with very thin TB skin, wasn't very keen to risk it. Thanks

I didn’t jump in it, as at the time I only had a long girth strap dressage saddle, but even flat work had it moving (advanced dressage so that did include flying changes and pirouettes).

I did buy a sheepskin cover for the prolite as Skylla I’d quite sensitive but I’ve not needed it.

Nari

Visit site
I did find my Prolite went a bit hard if I didn't wash it thoroughly after each use - not a problem in the summer but a pain in the winter - but a LeMieux sheepskin cover helped with that and I only ever had a couple of rubs from it and they were when I was away so I suspect the rider wasn't washing the girth after each ride.

I eventually bit the bullet and bought a Fairfax which is made of lovely soft leather and never goes hard.

Although neither the Prolite or the Fairfax are elasticated I don't feel this is a problem because even on my flat backed welsh cob I don't need to girth up tightly to keep the saddle still.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
agree you need to wash the prolite frequently, i scrub mine off quickly after every ride.
they don't rub my thin skinned TB. I sold my fairfax and have 2 prolites now :p

splash30

Visit site
Have you seen the new LeMieux geltek girths, I have just ordered one, should be here tomorrow (love a bit of Amazon) it's the long version but they do a short one too.

Squeak

Visit site
I've got a fairfax and it really helps with rubbing for my tb. He has a weird wrinkly armpit thing going on and the fairfax gives his armpits enough room and allows the skin to be able to move under the front of the girth.

rara007

Visit site
I use a sheepskin on my prolite, not that it rubbed but because he has previous rubs there and is sensitive. Win win as then I dont need to clean the actual girth very often either :p

Muddywellies

Visit site
No personal experience but a friend reported that the Equisoft didn't hold the saddle securely enough. I was after one but her experience with it has put me off.