Stubben Trevira Girths or Lampwick Girths?

sjp1

Visit site
Need to get my lad a new girth - so question in the title really. Of those two girths which is the best - for a hairy horse who is oddly VERY sensitive about all sorts of things!

little_critter

Visit site
You might be limited by what you can find. I tried to get a lampwick girth a few years ago and couldn’t find one. I got a stubben Trevira instead and was very happy with it. I’ve seen some that wash badly but mine was fine, I tied it in a pillow case and never tumble dried it.

JillA

Visit site
I've got a string girth I no longer use, I think it is Stubben. Not sure of the size but my horse always took around 54" if that's any good to you?

Zuzan

Visit site
If you can stretch to it the mohair string girths are brilliant but at least 4 x the price of the stubben triviera.. message me on Phoenix if you are interested.. need info on suppliers

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I thought it was more aeration but maybe so, but it bunched up behind his elbows as a result and rubbed quite badly.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Love my Trevira girth but sadly cant use nowadays as I have a long one and now use a saddle that needs a short girth (never got round to replacing it!). I used to use it on sensitive horses, it never rubbed and washed really well. Used to use it on a sweaty horse as well as felt it was comfier than usual other leather or neoprene girths.

ihatework

Visit site
I had to go and google what a lampwick girth was 😱 appears Fylde saddlery make them if you are interested - not sure what the point of them is, they look like they would get minging quite quickly.

If you are wanting that kind of style, ie soft, thin and floppy, then WOW make a really good leather equivalent

Otherwise just stick to the Stubben.

Alternatively I haven’t found a horse yet that objects to the pro choice girths and I’ve used them on a couple of v v sensitive ones.

TPO

Visit site
I've used the Stubben Trevira on ex-racers and I really liked them. I have a collection of brown ones hanging in our tack room now because you never know when!

sjp1

Visit site
I had to go and google what a lampwick girth was 😱 appears Fylde saddlery make them if you are interested - not sure what the point of them is, they look like they would get minging quite quickly.

If you are wanting that kind of style, ie soft, thin and floppy, then WOW make a really good leather equivalent

Otherwise just stick to the Stubben.

Alternatively I haven’t found a horse yet that objects to the pro choice girths and I’ve used them on a couple of v v sensitive ones.

My appy absolutely hated Professional Choice girths to the point he kicked out when being girthed up even loosely. He was a great fan of the Elevator padded girth with elastic on both sides. Horses are so individual I have found that no one girth suits all!!

whizzer

Visit site
My little(supposed to be low maintenance!)mare has turned out to be girth sensitive. A Trevira worked well for a few months but then coming into winter she got upset about the girth again so I added in a nice thick padded sheepskin cover & she’s been happy with this since. But I think she’ll find this set up too warm in the summer,I’m currently trialling using a memory foam humane girth,using this with the sheepskin currently but am going to try it without soon.....

sjp1

Visit site
Its always the (supposed to be low maintenance ones) that turn out to be super high maintenance I have found - but like the layers of an onion!!