Stud advice for dummies/newbies

MissSBird

Visit site
My darling pony appears to be trying to tell me that he wants to do workers rather than flat classes. 3 years ago, when I purchased him as a baby, I had sworn off jumping for life. Funny how a pony who enjoys it can change your perspective!

Yesterday our workers class was on grass, and the ground, having been used the day before and earlier yesterday, was muddy and slightly boggy in places. Giving deference to that I made sure to take my time round corners and we came out of it perfectly fine with no near misses. But, it made me think I should start considering studs, particularly given the fact that most of our shows in the future are on grass.

So, can someone walk me through the basics? I've never considered them before.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
A lot of it is personal preference and you have lots of a different thoughts. I would say you are going to need some and probably need them more when the dround is harder particularly if greasy.

You can have studs in al 4 feet or just behind, then there is debate between one hole or two in each shoe. There is less concussion with one stud but it can allow the foot to rotate so it is more stable with two.

I personally have 2 holes in each shoe, use a sharp stud in firm going and a round stud in wetter conditions. Personally I used a bigger studs behind than in front because of concussion and often use a slightly smaller stud on the inside of the shoe in case they strike into themselves.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Like Sarah_jane says using studs is a very personal thing.
I have stud holes all round but very rarely use studs in front. I usually find for most going & courses 2 studs in each hind is fine.
I also used to have an instructor who was adamant using studs in front on all but the softest & slipperiest of grounds can jar up a horse.
My general rule is the wetter the ground the bigger & more domed the stud.
I have supastuds & some ordinary cheaper studs. I find both easy to use....unfortunately I've never really found the supastuds to be self tapping.
I do however have the supastuds magnetic wristband which is quite possibly the best invention ever :D
When shod & stud holes put in, straight away I tap the holes again with my tap & then plug the holes with cotton wool soaked in hoof oil or a spray of WD40.
I change this cotton wool at least twice a week.
When studding, I tap give the hole or a quick squirt of WD40 & then the stud screws in easy as pie :)

MissSBird

Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys! Sounds like it's a bit of trial and error. We'll never be jumping huge heights but better to know these things :)

sj_xc_hannah_

Visit site
I also find that most horses are more confident in themselves with studs on, not to mention me, if I don't have them in and we slip I'll worry about the ground the whole way around the course.

Look on supastuds, not only are their studs good (although I don't use them to clean stud holes) but they explain what each stud is for so you could pick a hard ground, normal ground and soft ground stud so you have a small set.

worMy

www.katherinebegley.com
I personally have 2 holes in each shoe, use a sharp stud in firm going and a round stud in wetter conditions. Personally I used a bigger studs behind than in front because of concussion and often use a slightly smaller stud on the inside of the shoe in case they strike into themselves.

I do exactly that too!!