Stud or Yard Owners . . pleasure or a pain ??

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
A bit of a random post but I was 'facebooking' an old friend who I did my BHSAI with (many years ago!)
Now she gave up her successful career in law to move abroad and set up her own stud.
It can be a bit 'hit and miss' finance wise but she really loves it and said she would never go back to her old life and wished she had done it years earlier.
However, I did the opposite. We owned a large commercial BHS riding school/livery/dealing yard in North London and it completely ruined my 'pleasure' for horses.
When we sold it on (again many years ago!) I made the decision never to mix horses with business again and to get a 'normal' career instead.
I have stuck to this, kept the horses purely a hobby ever since and have never regreted it.
So what about you folks, if your yard or stud is also your living/income . . . . is it a pleasure or is it a pain and why??

Also in CR

Whizz105

Visit site
Along time ago I managed a yard of 15 full liveries. Yes it's easy to have a routine but it was hard work and lost my enjoyment of my own horse. After some time I "luckily" got ill and being bed ridden for a while made me realise that it wasn't worth it. I have never looked back and still have my horse of which I love to bits and enjoy her everyday.