Stud Virgin!!

Emily99

Visit site
After Ardingly RC show last weekend we've decided to stud my boy up. He's currently unshod and we had issues in the rain at the weekend when jumping slowly round a WH course. My boy's just turned five so i want him to have the confidence in his feet to jump as he was sliding everywhere.

I've never used studs before so need advice on whether to have one or two, front or back? We mainly Showjump and doing Working hunter classes. What are the pro/con of each?

Also what will i need in my 'kit'?? i've seen people using them before so i think i understand about re-threading etc but a quick guide would be ace!

Will definitely be using a stud guard on him as he's very careful jumping.

So you use pointed studs for hard ground.. and the fatter studs for wet? If anyone could give me links to pics of each would be great as i really want to get this right!

Thanks

Emz

teapot

Visit site
Shall scan in the stuff I told you about
grin.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
oooh, I watched the working hunter, have you got piccies of your boy, I prob saw you
smile.gif

how about trying one stud in each foot on the outside to start with ?

druid

Visit site
Right..

You need a spanner (get from local DIY place, horsey ones are a rip off!), a tap (I like the moulded plastic safety taps that survive if you lose the foot mid re threading, a show nail to pick the keepers out and some keepers (tip - cigarette filters from your local newsagent do just as well and are cheaper)

I use 2 studs in each foot - some use only one. I'm of the school who believe that unbalances and causes twisting of the hoof in action. For hard/sunbaked conditions I use 2 studs in each hind and nothing in front. For grass that's slippy I use them all round with slightly more pointed ones in the outside. For bottomless going I use bullets all round.

STUD-002.jpg

Smallish conical studs - good for hard going when you need grip

STUD-003.jpg

Small dome for modartely soft ground

STUD-004.jpg

Middling conical, good for slippery grass

STUD-008.jpg

Sharp stud - for firm/slippery going (Note, I would NEVER use sharps on the inside of a hoof for fear of my idiotic mare studding her opposite leg)

STUD-007.jpg

Bullet stud - for v.soft going

For example I'd use...

Slippy grass: Middling conicals on inside of all hooves and sharps on outside.

Soft going: Small domes all round

Very Soft going: Bullets all round

Sunbaked hard ground:Small conicals in hinds only or possibly sharps on the outside and small conicals on the inside.

Hope that helped???

Rambo

Visit site
My farrier feels very strongly that Sj'ers should only have a single stud in the outside heel of each foot. Something to do with the natural tendancy of the horses foot to twist on impact with the ground. He says 2 studs per foot is for eventers where they cannot guarantee the going underfoot
shocked.gif
Also, use the smallest studs you can get away with as this will reduce concussion...

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm of the school who believe that unbalances and causes twisting of the hoof in action. For hard/sunbaked conditions I use 2 studs in each hind and nothing in front. For grass that's slippy I use them all round with slightly more pointed ones in the outside. For bottomless going I use bullets all round.

[/ QUOTE ] God, you are like the other half to my mother, thats what I have drilled into my mind every time I stud up.
Always been unsure about studding infront, we had a livery BD judge who absolutely despised of people jumping with fronts studded up, she was always saying that the horse was meant to "move" in front when landing, and fronts jar the leg. But then mum had a bad accident years ago result of what we think was the horse not been studded in front.

druid

Visit site
Ah, but Rambo...I hunt and HT
wink.gif
Having watched horses jump in slow-mo videos I still think balance is important...I also noted that I didn't see more than one SJer in the International warm at RDS with single studs......

druid

Visit site
In firm conditions if you studded in front you would get jarring, in slippy conditions there's enough give in the ground for it not to occur imo

(Hey..if I'm like your mother it explains the mini-me thing!!)

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, but Rambo...I hunt and HT. Having watched horses jump in slow-mo videos I still think balance is important...I also noted that I didn't see more than one SJer in the International warm at RDS with single studs......

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point he was making was that for SJ'ing you generally know that the going is going to be fairly consistent and that imbalance is less of an issue. In the hunting field or x-country you can't always be sure what you're taking off from. I should say his view was backed up by my vet (who is very highly regarded), and their views were aired in response to my horses recent loss of form and subsequent interrogation of my studding configuration. I agree a huge number of people on the SJ'ing circuit (myself included) do appear to use 2 studs per shoe. I will be taking a lot more care in the future though to try and prevent the sorts of problems I have experienced this summer
shocked.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
(Hey..if I'm like your mother it explains the mini-me thing!!)

[/ QUOTE ]
well yes that is very true!
[ QUOTE ]
I agree a huge number of people on the SJ'ing circuit (myself included) do appear to use 2 studs per shoe. I will be taking a lot more care in the future though to try and prevent the sorts of problems I have experienced this summer

[/ QUOTE ] Me too
blush.gif
actually only tent to use one on outsides front for sj, and they are only little, but I always have some hefty ones in the back. I am told now though to put as many in as possible, I have never seen rob jumping in less than 2per shoe, even at home! At GYS this year Ellen had such large ones in the speed she twisted larrys back shoes doing the final 3jumps, and Tom(my farrier) said that was down to such large studs.

Emily99

Visit site
Thanks for all the info guys.. this is just what i need to know!! Druid you're amazing for those pics!
Not quite at the level of Rob and Ellen but i think i'm going to go for 2 on each, and follow druid's advice about not studding up fore when hard etc.

Sienna.. i did the baby novice WH, i went in just after the poor girl in the warm up broke her leg, went in feeling a bit ill lol.

Emily99

Visit site
was warming up someone elses horse, it was being silly, slipped over and she went crunch :S wasn't nice at all. Friend of mine took the horse back to the lorry and untacked it etc to help her parents.

druid

Visit site
Understandably! Interestingly I noticed Marcus Fuchus has 3 studs in the grey's hinds - large conicals in both normal holes and a 3rd hole half way along the outer hoof wall with a sharp in it. Never seen that arangement before.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
A pair of tweezers! I find these are more useful to pull out the plugs from stud holes rather than the nail. The nail is ok to get it moving, but because the nail is very sharp at the end, it can tear the plug rather than pull it out. With tweezers, you can get a grip of the plug, keep hold and just pull! They're also easier to find in grass if you drop them than the nail!