Student housing legal advice please? (not horsey I know)

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
I don't think 'legal' s quite the right term but I'm not quite sure how best to word it.
So basically we got the house in August and began paying rent in september-we moved in then as well. When we moved in one of the bedrooms was slightly damp and we were told it would be sorted. Two weeks ago a guy came to see whether it was still damp on the walls (it had got worse) and he picked some of the wallpaper off to try and locate the source of damp. We were ten given a dehumidifier for the room- worked but still lots of damp. Now nothing else has been done- we've contacted the estate agents and they've said what they PLAN to do (e'g' ripping out the shower which is apparently the source) but they have given no start time etc. Where do we stand on this? The bedroom is barely habitable, clothes are damp and the room stinks.

Many thanks if you've read all of my confusing waffle and or if you can give any advice :)

Jane_Lou

Visit site
Was the accommodation on the "approved" list from your uni? If so I would contact the uni accommodation office as they have clear contracts with landlords as to the standards expected. If it is not - then I can't advise I am afriad.

golden_revolution

Visit site
You aren't per chance studying at Harper are you.....

I had REAL problems with my student house in the final year at uni. There was 4 of us in a (barely habitable) very very damp semi at the end of a terrace. The exposed wall gave us awful prblems in the upstairs smallest bedroom with mould and damp, and as our bathroom was a simple (un-insulated) extension to make room for the 4th room, with a flat room, the ceiling used to turn BLACK!

We phoned our landlords repeatedly, and they came round to check etc..the most that they did was to come (ONCE) and spray anti-fungal cleaner to try and kill the spores. (nothing I hadn't already tried!)
It cost us an absolute FORTUNE to heat etc as we tried to keep it dry and also due to no insulation cost us more than it should have too!

To be fair in our case, it was mainly down to sorting our house mega late (we had been on placement!) so we just got what was left...but, if I were to go back I would have definitley gone to the Student Services at uni straight away and asked their advice- they are trained to deal with these matters, and also the legal side to it.

Hope you get it sorted!!!!! (I know how you feel!)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Put your problems in writing - send it recorded delivery.

State in the letter that you want in writing a date on which work will be carried out and completed to rectify the problem.

Also to to your University Student Advisory section - they will be able to give you more legal advice on what your rights are.