Studs Mom Had Fescue Poisoning?

lillymeadow

New User
Visit site
I'm looking to trade this 10yr.old stud well actually we have already made the trading deal before i could find any good forum sites. Well he is a VERY pretty black/white stud and he has been breeding since he was 3. The problem is she said his mom had fescue poisoning? Well i looked it up and i see no information that result in his back looking like this? It more less looks like a giant lump on his back and it is. He is a little thin and she said when he puts weight on you can barely notice it. (Which is true..) but i'm REALLY worried? Is this really caused by fescue poisoning will his back get medical problems? One of his foals Sir Larry Loves A Lot if on Dreamhorse.com for sale at $6,500 so he must be doing something right (lol). When we went down she said she had 7 mares lined up to breed with him for $300ea (including booking fee).

He has has a calcuim depoist on his left knee, she has been on his back but never did much just walk. She said she's scared to ride a stud and its winter and REALLY bad out here its been around 1-5 degree's not including how windy its been getting. So you can imagine how it would rule out any kind of riding. The reason she is selling him is her belgian gelding is trying to kill him. He keeps braking threw the barn to get to him and she said it got so bad the beglain kicked him in to her pond and they had to use hair driers etc to warm him up quickly! Anyways i'm trading her my mare, my filly is frisky a little hard to control from time to time and pretty cow-hocked in the back plus only 2 so not broke nobody's been on her etc. The stud is APHA registered and my mare is AQHA registered.

OMG he is the sweetest horse i've seen in my life not to mention a STUD! He listens better to any gelding i've ever owned and she trotted him down the drive he has adorable little jog. He wasn't limping, skipping, tripping he actually looked really nice. As far as conformation he doesn't look cow-hocked or anything decent straight legs (exept the depoist) he got that from a mare. They were trying to breed them and she kicked him in the knee the vet said its fine. To make things really funny were only an 1hr from each other and we use the same vet lol. So i really trsut him he gelded my boys and everything i've never had a problem with him. Should i call him, can he give out information on other clients? Should i call him out myself and get his op face to face on his riding ability. In know way do i see him un-breedable he is fully dropped and everything and produced many foals and there good show foals as well. Could fescue poisoning be passed down threw a stallion? I was reading and it is caused by a type of grass so it shouldn't be genetic or cause him any other problems but the hump? He is very pretty and she is just worried somebody will take him to the kill pen and threw his flaws he really is a sweet heart. I know a lot of people will say geld him but i don't see why? She has several mares on the farm and she left lights on her belgain filyl (accident) and caused her to come in to heat in the winter.

That was amazing! She took him out and he kind of got side tracked with the pretty gals as soon as she said "Goliath" his ears were up he looked at her and payed full attention. I was also told he is really good about sheath cleaning and gentle with mares. He's been threw so much i just want to know if anybody has seen this or exp this and was the horse ridable/breedable? Were there any side affects past down in any foals? Thanks so much i'm new and i want to know. I'll be picking him up Thursday 2/8/07.

When he was bulked up-

cB3YGJYgcSdZ79AUdfi38LkoXBXMh89X016.jpg

j2wHrVPoonp820sy-P2ECR1nRbtRFI0160.jpg

XVAaIY3Op9FRIj7wEf0cRIu49jUQVYin016.jpg

Him recently (He lost some weight due to the bullying belgian)-

SD530185.jpg

SD530193.jpg

SD530191.jpg

SD530192.jpg

SD530212.jpg

SD530205.jpg

Tia

Visit site
No. As far as I am aware, fescue toxicity can't be passed on genetically and it isn't hereditary. The foetus can only be affected if the mother is fed hay with the mould already on the fescue.

One of my horses is also a 10 year old AQHA who had fescue toxicity. She is absolutely fine, a little deformed although not quite so noticeable as your guy, but it certainly doesn't affect her in the slightest....the hardest thing I found with her was finding a saddle which fitted properly. She only has the slightly raised back but has no other conformational issues so she was lucky.

It is rare to find young horses these days with this as so much information is now available and most breeders are very aware of the dangers of feeding ryegrass and fescue to broodmares.

One thing I would say though which may go against you....what if a mare owner brought her mare to be covered by your stallion and was then fed fescue in her hay and the foal came out deformed? Would the owner believe she has comeback on you?? I would have a written statement from your vet to pass onto any mare owner there to be served by your stallion and have them sign it.

I personally wouldn't breed from him or to him but if plenty people are lining up then it is your decision whether to allow it or not. Good luck with your boy - lovely markings by the way.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
smile.gif

lillymeadow

New User
Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply. Yeah thats what i was questioning if people would be interested in a stud a little off but she said he's always booked. They showed him in western pleasure and stuff and the judge never had a problem. Then of course he looked "MUCH" better since he was bulky and had weight on him. Like you can see in the first 3 pictures his back looks almost un-noticed and his hip is bigger.
smile.gif
Thanks

Tia

Visit site
Well if he is fully booked then he is obviously in demand. What bloodlines does he have?

I have an APHA stallion but I don't breed to outside mares. He has bred a couple of my mares and he has bred a couple of my friends mares, who incidentally belonged to me prior to selling to their current owners. There really isn't a whole load of money which warrants keeping them as stallions though, mainly because of the hassles of standing a stallion. My guy is exceptional which is why I have left him uncut to date, however he will likely be gelded at some point in the future.

If you do use him to breed, have you considered how you are going to offer breedings? In-hand or pasture bred? Have you seen him with a mare and are you content to deal with all the breedings?

I have a thing about not breeding to or with any horse who has oddities, whatever those oddities may be, however I realise others aren't quite so discriminating, so I wish you the best of luck.....you'll certainly have your hands full.
smile.gif

lillymeadow

New User
Visit site
Yes the lady i'm getting him from has more less all mares and 1 donkey stud and the belgain gelding trying to kill him. He was really great and gentle while we were there he listens so amazingly. Better than any gelding i've owned. Specially his feet and standing still he was really good about letting you touch him every where. Well i'm weighing out pasture or hand breeding since i don't want him getting injuried again. I've been reading about breeding before i even knew this women/stud. Because i was going to breed my mare (the one i'm trading for the stud) and over all he is a great stud.

The reason people want to breed to him is because he's been throwing nice foals some REALLY nice hunter/jumpers and they have his temperment. His foals are gentle and very easy to handle. He's throw out color, personailty, and athletic foals more less a everything package. That and besides his back he has really no conformation flaws and his back is not genetic so i don't see why people would not want to breed with this handsome boy.