Studs on overnight

kaisius

Visit site
Icy paths to the paddocks have left all the horses in studs, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience having them in overnight?
I would of course have some back on track boots on, that I'll have to buy since I don't have any, and maybe bell boots?
Also not sure if I should have them on all four legs or just the two front legs?
He won't be outside unless I put the studs in and i have a little problem getting there on the weekends...

sportsmansB

Visit site
One of our grooms is from Norway and she says this is what they always do, its that or zero turnout over the winter over there. This came up during Ireland's equivalent of a big freeze there last week (all gone now, back to 8 degrees and drizzle)

She definitely put them in and out immediately before and after a few hours daylight turnout (I believe there are only a few hours of daylight!)
Subject came up as my horse doesn't always settle in the field, and she was saying how annoying that was in Norway when you had studded them up as well as changing rugs etc and then they wanted in again in 20 minutes...

Polos Mum

Visit site
OP - can you pay your yard extra to put stud in (if you are happy they are safe in the field with them )

or pay for salt / grit on the pathway so that they can get in and out of the field without them (no idea how bad the ice is with you)

I have also seen boots with studs in - which might be quicker for your yard to put on and off

Presumbly one horse only turn out - I can't imagine a kick from another horse wearing studs !

AUB

Visit site
When I lived in Switzerland we studded the horses in the winter with the studs you hammer in, not screw in. They had studs in from the first snow fell until spring.

We didn’t see any injuries, but to be fair, we also didn’t turn them out in herds. I wouldn’t put studs in in that case, they can really damage if a horse kicks. But otherwise I wouldn’t be too worried.

kaisius

Visit site
The reason I was asking is cause there are 4-5 horses in our stable, at least, that have them in overnight. Now studding in Norway is usually only done in winter when there is ice and the horses don't get out unless they have them in, seriously they won't even get out to the arena if they don't have them, I see the studding "culture" is quite different from country to country...

Nicnac

Visit site
Wow, isn't it interesting, how horse care has to change for different countries/conditions? Have gone from being horrified to understanding. Every day's a lesson!

Yes but there is huge difference between turning out in studs which is perfectly acceptable and understandable in many countries compared to leaving studs in 24/7 whilst stabled.