Stumped now.....

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
pickles....

had vet out for xrays last night, in the continuing saga of pickles behaving like a retard... xrays showed very slight changes to his coffin bones, but nothing to explain the total refusal to cooperate/strange behaviour (he's been bilaterally lame on a circle on concrete) so we decided to have a look

vet is coming back next week to scope for ulcers, so am hoping that shows something, as this is very odd, first we thought it was eye sight as he didn't seem to 'see' things until he tripped over them, but thats fine, feet & hocks show nothing you wouldn't expect in a 10yo,

strange horse, vet & farrier have both said maybe he's thrown the towel in & doesn't want to play, so its all in his head, but after the summer off after hunting last season, & being back in work since august, it seems a little pathetic if he has thrown the towel in, esp when he's been vile since he came back into work, which shows that maybe he hates work, but he never used to, he used to love his hunting, and now doesn't want to know

any suggestions?

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Not sure on ideas, but something will show up I am sure, at some stage.

Friend had a gelding who when pushed a tad, used to throw toys out of pram in a big way.

He had (in the end) an operation on his gullet....which seemed to help....

Then low and behold, suddenly he was unhappy again and turned out (now been operated on) that his hocks had issues!!

He comes back to work next spring and hopefully will be pain free happy boy, but my point is, there was just nothing obvious at all other than his throat/head issues!

All that time when pushed for a bit more, it now makes sense why he was such a pratt!! Poor thing!

But she had the vet out so much, and it just never showed until now.....

Take him hunting????

TGM

Visit site
If he has changes to his coffin bones and is bilaterally lame on a circle on concrete, then perhaps discomfort in his feet is the reason for his lack of co-operation? It may not be enough to make him look hopping lame but enough for him to think "This isn't comfy, so I'll just say no".

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
that was my thought, and my farrier has been out and put different shoes on him, so while we look at other possibilites hopefully the feet can stabilise and we can see if that makes a difference to his soundness, and whether over a longer period he improves, or whether its now deep routed in his mind he needs a new brain, or whether it is infact something totally different!

Horses!

TGM

Visit site
Perhaps you should get a 'reading' for him
wink.gif
tongue.gif

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
PMSL!!! i was waiting for that

this would be it

I hate work, i hate other horses, i hate it when i refuse to behave i get hit with a stick, i kick dogs, i like kicking dogs, i am scared of tractors, the dark, cats, feed sacks, the handle of my feed bucket, i like food, i like fighting, i like fighting for food, i don't like going first (except for food, or fighting and kicking dogs) i especally like mud, the horses in my feild are weird, Ian is a Jealous Gay, Ankles is boring and won't fight, at least Ian fights (like a girl) i have tried to train him to kick dogs

PMSL.... new job for me!!

Weezy

Visit site
ROTFLMAO at your description!!

Well personally if the vet doesnt find anything, the farrier is happy, I would be inclined to take him hunting and see if you cannot get him to find his Joie de Vivre again?

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
i did that 2 weeks ago & had to come home at 12!! not a happy bunny, he refused to jump out of canter (only trot!!...comforting) and then totally threw the toys out and planted himself.... no amount of 'conversation' helped the matter, nor did the fact that we had been left (normally something he avoids like the plague) and after the superb day i then had on ankles, i'm not too keen on another rubbish, wasted day, so will have to wiat for a quiet mid week day before i take him again

Dovorian

Visit site
Has he been nerve blocked? I had similar issues with a big horse and as TGM sommented, it was down to 'discomfort' and the horse simply said 'no thanks' to work and deposited riders left right and centre until the issue was resolved!

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Sorry, you post had me in fits of loud laughter !! My colleagues already think I'm nuts ! Does he act the same if you give some bute ?? If he's OK on bute, then that would at least indicate that he is feeling pain and it's not a head issue.

Poor you !! (let me know if you ever get into writing - I'll be the first to buy !!)

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
nope, tried bute & he was just the same, hence why we are going to look in his stomach next, as there may be a problem in there & the bute may have agravated it, so we shall see,

Alibear

Visit site
um not wanting to be the bearer of bad news and it probably isn't but this is pretty much how MAcs problems started out this year.

I think nerve blocks would definitly be on my list now to see if it is really a "foot" problem.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
You post has just had me in stitches about his personality. My OH Uncle's horse will not jump any more due to feet problems just says no thanks.
Hope you get it resolved.

emma69

Visit site
Sorry to hear pickles isn't feeling his usual self. Is he sound in the field - is he mucking around in the field (cantering, being a pain in the butt) or is he standing around? Could it be his back? It's the jumping out of trot, but not canter that has me thinking that more than the other things, but we had a horse on the yard that presented like that, turned out it had back problems (didn't get a definitive diagnosis of what they were, but a few sessions of manipulation later had he was a new neddy!)