Stupid horse got stuck in the field

fairhill

Visit site
I went to bring the horses in from the field last night. Chloe was stood at the gate. There was no sign of my horse, Meg. My mum took chloe out of the field whilst I shouted for Meg. We heard a lot of splashing... then nothing...

I went to look for her, and she'd managed to wedge herself between a post and rail fence, and a brambley, spikey hedge
blush.gif
She couldn't move back because the branches were too low. She couldn't move forward because there were branches and tyres in the way (put there to stop horses going in the bushes!).

So.... I carefully picked up every tyre and moved them to the other side of the fence, and squeezed between the bushes to see how stuck she was.
One leg looked like it was wrapped in barbed wire so I shouted for my mum to get a torch and something to cut branches and wire....

In the meantime I was breaking off as many of the branches as I could. Ten minutes later my mum returned with backup (YO, YO's son, and two of his friends!). Thankfully in the torchlight we could see that the barbed wire was actually just brambles and as I'd cleared a lot of the branches in front for Meg she could be shooed out! I think the lads were a bit disappointed that they didn't have to do more....

I've never been so scared in my life.... Meg however stood like a rock the whole time, and was completely unhurt... unlike my hands which are now shredded by the thorns, and full of thistles
mad.gif

Thanks for reading and please tell me I'm not the only one with a horse who is soon to be up for a Darwin award for stupidity...
crazy.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
OMG, sounds like you handled that so well, I would have been stressing so much I probably would have made matters worse. Meg sounds like a lucky girl to have escaped unhurt
smile.gif

fairhill

Visit site
I've never been so thankful for her thick hairy legs!
It was the two year anniversary of me getting her yesterday as well - she was obviously upset I hadn't got her a present!

hollyzippo

Visit site
Horses are utterly stupid! Years ago when they were at home, I lloked out the windown one morning in the summer to say hi to Zippo who was 2 fields away in their paddock infront of the house (there was a high hay field inbetween). I couldnt see him and panicked immediately!! I ran down there to find him on his side, hidden by the long hay!

He had rolled close to the post and rail fence and got all 4 legs under the bottom rail!! He lay there while we tried to bend all his legs and encourage him to roll back over and get up.... oh no. We had to take the fence down from around him, he just lay there. He then just got up and wandered off to catch up on all the lost grazing!!

Well he is a TB, what can I say!
wink.gif
Pleased he didnt panic tho as no mark on him. Sounds like urs is very sensible! And lucky not to be cut to ribbons!
crazy.gif

barkinghorse

Visit site
I know how you feel,
Last year William got his leg stuck in the sand paddock fence after an over exuberant roll, he just lay there, upside down, looking at me as if to say "mum, i'm stuck"! while i ran around the yard like a headless chicken, looking for a hammer screaming " don't panic don't panic" to everyone!!
blush.gif
crazy.gif

Jo

fairhill

Visit site
That must have been pretty scary. My TB was always doing daft things - I caught him once chasing a dog round in circles in the field, another time he was chewing the forelock on a very big bull with only a thin fence to separate them...

I'm not sure Meg is that sensible though - there was acres of clear field for her to walk through rather than trying to squeeze through the trees!

claire1976

Visit site
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say horses are 'utterly stupid' -thats impossible but clearly they can panic and get themselves into difficult situations. The main thing is your horse knew damage limitation and stood still until you freed her, I'd actually say she was quite intelligent as she waited nice and calm for help to arrive rather than making it worse by panicking. Must have been awful for you though.

SusieJane

Visit site
The 1st day I turned my new TB XCB out she stuck her leg thru the sheep wire!

I panicked, went running up to the house to get hubby/son anyone with bolt cutters. We all went shooting down the field with her calling like a looney

Just as we got there she pulled it out herself! As we walked back to the house, she did it again, started calling etc.

Needless to say day 2 was spent taking down wire!!