Stupid Prices

CobMania

Visit site
When my friend bought her horses a few years back, she only paid around £800-£1000 for each of them. Im now looking for a horse for myself and I nearly choke at the prices some of them are going for, its near cheaper to buy a new car lol.

Im not looking to compete, i horse ride for pleasure, I would like a nice cob around 15-16hh that would suit a beginner (hubby wants to learn to ride).

The highest I am willing to go is £1500. Surely some prices are getting beyond a joke!

Helga1980

Visit site
Prices have got very silly recently, especially for what you want as 'safe' cobs appear to be very fashionable these days!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know somebody selling a "safe" cob for £7000 ! It's done nothing either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean selling....or asking
shocked.gif

samp

Visit site
Horse have definitely gone up over the years. Though I reckon you could find a cob teenager at that price. Sold mine that had been there, done it and superb to jump hack etc for £1200 last year

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I paid £500 for my coloured and £750 for the chestnut in my siggie. The chestnut has since been diagnosed with early arthritis and ringbone, so obviously I wouldn't sell him, but I believe I could probably, if I wanted, ask about £2000 for my coloured.

Looking around for horses for other people, I cannot believe how much prices have risen.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I could probably, if I wanted, ask about £2000 for my coloured

[/ QUOTE ]
I would double that and then add another £500!! At least.

CobMania

Visit site
I just think its so stupid! I love the cobs and years ago you could have picked them up for a few hundred as people didnt like them! Now they seem to go for more than TBs

We do want a cob as hubby weighs around 15 stone so something that can carry him ok. Also im used to riding the heavier horses and feel more secure and confident with them.

Really we just want a horse to generally fuss over, use for his lesson, me for hacking out to the beach (about 40 minutes ride away).

Did go and see a lovely bay cob who is 14 years old, done nothing but 100% sound (bricking myself when a milk tanker came my way! However he didnt put a foot wrong). They are looking £3000 for him

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
would like a nice cob around 15-16hh that would suit a beginner (hubby wants to learn to ride).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly it's all down to supply and demand. What you have asked for is what a lot of pleasure rider horse buyers are looking for. As so many more get into riding for pleasure the safe allrounder is worth far more than a lot of competition horses (unless very good). As it is what the majority want and need!

Unless you are prepared to take on something much older (i.e over 15) then a truley safe weight carrying cob will cost you at least £3k. Even if it's never stepped into a competition ring or been seriously schooled!

Dovorian

Visit site
The word 'safe' is the expensive bit, most certainly adding a couple of thousand to the price - we've just bought a lovely 16.2, teenager but we most certainly paid for his 'safety' factor. I don't begrudge it either!

CobMania

Visit site
My friend thinks I should wait a few months and start looking, when the weather really sets in and people find it cost more at livery yards to keep their horse, and they arent getting to ride as much. Apparently this is were the first time buyers fall.

Thats another thing, do people not look into horse care BEFORE getting a horse???

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could probably, if I wanted, ask about £2000 for my coloured

[/ QUOTE ]
I would double that and then add another £500!! At least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really!
shocked.gif
Hmmm, no I can't, love her too much.
grin.gif

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Good idea. It is getting to the time of year when people might not be buying, and others start to struggle.

No, I don't think people do look at the whole picture when it comes to getting horses.

Happytohack

Visit site
I was looking for the exact same horse as you a couple of months ago, but wanted something around 16 hands. Found one for £3,000 and considered her a bargain - if someone offered me ten times that for her I wouldn't sell her as she is so perfect - and perfect horses are pretty rare! You might be lucky though, horse prices do seem to be dropping a bit now the weather is changing.

clipertyplop

Visit site
to be honest you may well pick up a hores for £1500 at auction if your very lucky....or not as the case may be....to get what your looking for you will have to rethink your budget im affraid because there is a long long que for safe cobs

CobMania

Visit site
Im not in a hurry for a horse anyway as im getting to ride regularly anyway, its something that I just dont want to rush into

fairhill

Visit site
I think 3k is a realistic price for a good safe cob - you can't put a price on safety and sanity.
I was looking for this type a while ago, with a budget of up to 3k, and less than 10 yr old... i ended up buying a youngster to bring on, but have had to do a lot of work with her. I couldn't find anything with 4 legs and/or brain for less than 2k.
Good luck with your horse hunting!

CobMania

Visit site
My instructor said that I should go and see a few that are around the £2500 mark, and then wait a few weeks, phone them up and offer £1500 cash as with the bad weather setting in, livery fees etc will cripple some people.

I know that sounds horrible of me, but would rather keep some money in the bank to pay towards its keep

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My instructor said that I should go and see a few that are around the £2500 mark, and then wait a few weeks, phone them up and offer £1500 cash as with the bad weather setting in, livery fees etc will cripple some people.

I know that sounds horrible of me, but would rather keep some money in the bank to pay towards its keep

[/ QUOTE ]

If you did that to me I would be p*ssed off, total timewaster, before you view ask if they will take an offer. Don't take your instructors advice

fairhill

Visit site
I'd be cautious if someone did agree to sell you a horse priced at 2.5k for 1k less. Why would they be so desperate to sell at nearly half asking price? Even at a very expensive yard, they'd still not be spending 1k on fees in 3-4 months.
I bought my old horse having knocked off £500 after the vetting - turned out to be a confirmed bolter. True bargains in the horse buying are very rare.

JaneMBE

Visit site
I recently bought a fabulous ID , 7 yr old, but I was extremely lucky to find him (and thanks to the owner and sister, he is perfect!).
It is hard though, particularly if you want a cob. You need an older one I guess for that price. I wouldn't let minstrel go for that, he is a safe cob (mostly) and even though he has done nothing but riding school/rda he is worth more.

Dig out the obscure pages rather than the usual horsemart/hh/newrider etc. You can often get a real bargain if you look deep. I have a list of many if anyone wants it.

You don't always get tack for cheapies though, so you would need to budget for a saddle at least.
They are out there, just need a bit deep searching
smile.gif

CobMania

Visit site
Well as I said Im not in a hurry, the longer I wait the more money I will have and the more prepared I will be.

My husband and I are more financially secure, we both have full time jobs, he drives an HGV lorry and I am a customer advisor working from home.

spaniel

Visit site
They are out there but you need to know where to look.

Forget H+H and sites like Horsemart and Horsequest....thats where the money ones go....try your local fee ads paper, the cheaper family types often end up advertised there.

CobMania

Visit site
Have to admit that I have fallen for a lovely bay cob, hogged mane and very friendly.

Feel free to PM me if you want to see pic, dont want to advertise it on here incase owner is around and doesnt want me doing it

katiejaye

Visit site
It has gone mad really the prices of horses these days! I sold my safe cob 5 years ago, 9 yrs old, fantastic temperament, jumped, hunted and completely bomb proof for £1200...horses like him seem to be going for £5000+ these days!

shadowboy

Visit site
I have been looking for months and finally found something but i beleive it was only in my price range as it is coming up to winter and the owner has not riden him for a month already. Definately keep looking as come november (after clocks change) most prices will come down by £500