Stupid question alert RE travelling yearling loose in a trailer

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
My yearling needs to go to the vets in 3 weeks time, last time he went in I paid for a transporter because I was stressed and didn't want to transport him myself - as he hadn't yet done any trailer training of any kind.

Now I'm less stressed (He has had surgery and recovery is going well) I'd like to travel him there in my own trailer.

In the transporters horse box, he travelled loose - his preference was to stand facing the rear of the box on the left hand side.
-Can he travel loose in the trailer without any partitions?
-Would he need to be cross tied so he doesn't spin around in the trailer?
-Should I have both top doors closed so he doesn't try to jump out if he does turn around?

(He's currently on box rest, so I can't really do any training between now and then either!)

I know I don't SOUND less stressed, but I promise I am lol!

Britestar

Visit site
If he's loose you must close the back doors.
I would have no issues doing that if he would be happy. As long as you can get in safely at the other end to get hold of him.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Great, thanks for clearing that up - I can bed the trailer down, take all of the breast bars and parititions out and can get in and out of the jockey door at each end (and I can lock the jockey door for the journey so he doesn't get out that way)

The transporter said he is very vocal, but actually quite still once he got where he wanted to be - she had him on camera all the way. He did sweat up and she had the luxury of putting air con on for him, he won't have that luxury in my Richardson Rice I'm afraid!

Thanks again, much appreciated!

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Fine to travel loose minus bars in a trailer, provided all shut up.

What I would do however, if it doesn’t already, is have bolts fitted to the outside of the jockey door. Depends on type of mechanism it has as standard, my Bateson was insufficient

Good shout, never know how robust the key lock on those doors are. I will do the modification this weekend, thanks!

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Does the trailer have a large front window that he might be tempted to jump through if travelled loose, like the Ifor Williams 506/511 range has?

Its just like the one on my attached pic here - has a small window at the front underneath the air vent - I might cover that with a big haynet though now!

Attachments

• Richardson Trailer.jpg
    Richardson Trailer.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 8

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
I thought breast and breech bars were necessary if travelling loose as they form part of the structure of the trailer and also you need a breast bar so the horse has something to brace against if needed.

I think thats why I was confused, but then he didn't have anything to brace against in the horse box either? I have used my trailer without a partition or breast bars before, but the horse was still crosstied (that's just how they had always travelled so I didn't change anything)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Its just like the one on my attached pic here - has a small window at the front underneath the air vent - I might cover that with a big haynet though now!
That window is fine.

I have to say that I won’t travel youngstock loose in a trailer, and as EP says it can destabilise the trailer if they get too far forward or mill around. I hire a transporter.

A horse has to be old enough to tie up and cope with front and rear breast bars before I will travel them in a trailer.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
We had to travel my sister's mare loose after having a tooth out as she had a drain in her face. Only problem we had was that with no breast bar she came right to the front of the trailer and that destabilised it.

Good to be aware of, luckily he is only small still so hopefully won't have too much of an affect? It's not a long journey or on main roads thankfully

ihatework

Visit site
I think thats why I was confused, but then he didn't have anything to brace against in the horse box either? I have used my trailer without a partition or breast bars before, but the horse was still crosstied (that's just how they had always travelled so I didn't change anything)

I’d use breast bar if the horse was cross tied.

If loose it shouldn’t hurt to use a back bar.

I wouldn’t want a yearling loose with a breast bar though, but I suppose it depends how big the yearling is - if a whopper then it might not be wise to travel loose.

What I would say however is I’d want a tow car with some guts, I wouldn’t want to be close to the cars limits, just incase the yearling does something daft.

You can block windows with cardboard. I most definitely would have loose hay and no net

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
I’d use breast bar if the horse was cross tied.

If loose it shouldn’t hurt to use a back bar.

I wouldn’t want a yearling loose with a breast bar though, but I suppose it depends how big the yearling is - if a whopper then it might not be wise to travel loose.

What I would say however is I’d want a tow car with some guts, I wouldn’t want to be close to the cars limits, just incase the yearling does something daft.

You can block windows with cardboard. I most definitely would have loose hay and no net

Thanks - We tow with a defender (we don't get anywhere fast, but we know we will get there!)
It was a bit of a one off travelling the horse I mentioned tied up but without breast bar.

Hes around the 13hh mark, so Id feel more comfortable without a breastbar I think. The Richardson trailers are a lot more sturdy than the ifors (in my opinion) so structurally I'm not so worried about the breast bar being needed.

I think I will tie a bale of straw standing up at the front of the trailer so he can't go too far forward - but judge from the camera in the lorry he would rather be near the back of the trailer anyway.

sport horse

Visit site
From choice I would put him in a partition and tie up the same as an adult horse but I would have a well behaved companion on the other side of the partition. If you have no suitable companion then travel him loose but do not put too much bed down - a deep bed prevents them from getting their feet through to solid floor and anchored to keep them upright. I travel a lot of youngsters and taking them with an older horse to copy is always the best policy.

Good luck.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Pop him in this weekend and do a very short trip, even a few hundred yards and back, just to ensure you are happy with your set up.
Def cover window with cardboard and no net.

Edited to add, is he rising 2? If so, try spending time teaching him to tie up. In a few days you might well be able to cross tie him in the trailer

Last edited:

hock

Visit site
it’s not a stupid question at all. I get quite stressed about travelling the babies. I think you’ve had brilliant advice re: loose, partition out etc.

paddy555

Visit site
I would use a lorry not a trailer they are not stable enough to have a loose youngster in.

this. My youngster travelled the length of the country, his first outing, in a 3.5. Travelled loose with a professional transporter. Couldn't tell he had even travelled, no worry and I would always choose that whatever the cost. The horse's safety is too important.

There is no margin of safety with a youngster restrained in a trailer, breast bars etc are too dangerous to a loose one and no bars = destabilising.

What are you going to do if something goes wrong whilst you are travelling? It is probably less likely to go wrong in a transporters lorry. If you do have to go in to the horse in a 3.5 there is often a back door into an enclosed area before you get to the horse. If you have to go into a trailer is it through the grooms door, the youngster is loose, could get a leg through it or if panicking could try and get out, let alone the risk to the person.
If you have ever, personally, travelled in a trailer you will realise how uncomfortable it is. I managed a mile to the end of a quiet road before we had to stop as I needed to be sick. (just did that to try it, I wouldn't travel in it and it is probably illegal before someone comments)
I've travelled hundreds of miles in a lorry and it is pretty comfortable.
Also don't forget that whatever training a yearling has he is a yearling with no experience and little brain power to keep him safe. An older trained horse often knows how to deal with problems travelling.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Just to let everyone know I have just booked the lorry again.

I have travelled horses loose in my trailer before and haven't noticed any destabilising, but that could be because we tow very slowly with a very stable vehicle (defender), as well as the Richardson trailers being much more stable (imo) that the iFors
I will wait until he isn't on box rest and then I can actually spend time training him how to be in a trailer, and will be able to use my other horse as a companion to help teach him.

Thanks all for the advice!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Just to let everyone know I have just booked the lorry again.

I have travelled horses loose in my trailer before and haven't noticed any destabilising, but that could be because we tow very slowly with a very stable vehicle (defender), as well as the Richardson trailers being much more stable (imo) that the iFors
I will wait until he isn't on box rest and then I can actually spend time training him how to be in a trailer, and will be able to use my other horse as a companion to help teach him.

Thanks all for the advice!

I think with an older horse that I can rely on being sensible being loose in a trailer is totally different, I just wouldn't risk something horrible happening I think your doing the right thing:)